Nextcloud Talk notification

Thank you for the information. Now it makes more sense for me :smile:
Will you please post some information in here as soon as we can switch back to the F-Droid version? Would be great :beers:

Hi
could it be, that the tone is not there if the chatwindow is open.
I have the same, but if I close the window (not the chat) I do get the tone.
That is on several smartphones with different androids.

Since the lastupdate there is no notification.
Why is this?
Version is 3.2.3

before that is was perfect.
notification is vey important

Now everything works well.
Sony xperia xz2preminum :+1:
Huawei P8max :+1:
Huawei Mediapad 3 :+1:
iPhone 6 :+1:
Huawei mate 8 direkt from China has no notification if the app is not active

I am very happy with the app and the emojis are there too

Thanks for the good work

Hi Devs,

I had this experience too there are no notifications anymore?

Is there a new setting which has to be flipped?

Thanks for any advice.

Edit: On iOS there are no notifications either.

Hi. What kind of notifications? Just sound?
I’m having trouble with this…

Hi @ivan , how to make notification work in nextcloud talk ios if you change the bundle identifier? The notification is working when I use the nextcloud talk from app store.

1 Like

Same here.

Hi! Are any changes with the notifications? My Android app informs from time to time. Desktop client is silent. Notifications in web UI are almost not visible, without any sound and pop-up window. Are any ways to improve this situation?..

1 Like

I also do not get notifications on the normal chat in a desktop browser

Talk 9.0.5
Nextcloud 19.0.4

EDIT-
Is this a defaults issue where new groups have notifications set to something other than “All Messages”?

Yes you can set the defaults for group chats in the settings… I think the default value is only for mentions.

1 Like

Hi @Chartman123 thanks for the reply! Any idea how was the default determined?
I think for first timer’s and folks who have yet to really deploy it on a mass scale, it might be wiser to go with an “All Messages” default per server admin setting?

Let me know your thoughts!
Have a great day!
OC

You could of course set the default to all messages when you set up your talk installation. If you switch it to another value it only takes effect on newly created group conversations.

1 Like

It just seems to me that the default is not showcasing the talk feature set in the best possible light, if it ever get’s too much as with any other messaging app one can decide to disable or limit notifications and messaging. In this case it appears the functionality is missing out of the box.

So I wanted to ask was there particularly a reason why the current server default setting for talk was initially decided upon?

I don’t know… But the devs probably had a reason to do it the way it is.

However, you could head over to Github and create an issue/feature request :+1:

Edit:
I saw that there was already at least one feature request regarding this topic:

1 Like

yea there it is, the original issue gets lost in sql data garble.

on Change the default behaviour of notifications in group messages · Issue #2085 · nextcloud/spreed · GitHub

errotu commented on Aug 14, 2019

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
In most messengers (e.g. Telegram, Whatsapp etc.) the default-option for notifications is to be notified whenever a new message is sent to a group chat. Being notified in Nextcloud Talk (by default) only when you are mentioned is therefore counter-intuitive and can lead to the non-reading of messages.

The original poster says it very clearly, Nextcloud needs to be a two way street developers and users interacting. The topic was closed and never got a serious consideration on what the original poster was discussing.

jancborchardt commented on Aug 26, 2019

If we do it, it should absolutely be a user-specific setting (introducing a bottom left settings area). The admin should not decide a default for something as personal as notifications, no?

On further thinking, the default is probably good, and we don’t need a user setting. If in certain environments it is wanted to replicate a different way of working, then it should probably be organization-wide.

I disagree, default is not good, user setting always required.

Btw: You could do the search for yourself :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks @Chartman123 again for your replies and useful insights and research.

I’m just talking about the talk web interface, and of course on other implementations such as on Mobile, notifications are completely locked down depending on what os and or app store one is using.

Btw: You could do the search for yourself

It’s quite disconnected jumping from help.nextcloud.com to github, I posted my app and server version numbers, my posts are to encourage discussion between users and developers not only developers.

1 Like