Nextcloud Talk can it be standalone

Hi, everyone
Iā€™m learning about Nextcloud Talk - iā€™ve got one question
can it be used stanalone, without all other nextsloud apps and services?

No i think not. Nextcloud is a ā€œconstruction kitā€. There are a lot of apps but you donā€™t really need to install many. https://apps.nextcloud.com/

But you can minimize the apps of Nextcloud at installation and after that.
Apps that are not used also place only a small load on the system (e.g. only with cron).
Also i think you can not uninstall Nextcloud Files but you can set e.g. the quota to 0 B. :wink:
So the user can not create files. Nextcloud Files becomes useless.

But maybe Nextcloud Talk is not the right application for you. As an alternative, you can take a look at Matrix, Jitsi or BigBlueButton for chat and videoconferencing.

I think Matrix / Synapse comes closest to your request (if you need user accounts and mobile).
On mobile devices you can use different apps e.g. Element (Android, iOS) or SchildiChat (Android).

1 Like

Nextcloud Talk is a Nextcloud app. You need to run it on a Nextcloud server. But if you wanted, you could remove some other default apps and just not use it for file storage.

I donā€™t know if the Files app can be removed or disabled? Iā€™ve never heard of anyone trying it.

1 Like

Disable Files is not possible. But Talk can be set as default-app and the files-button hidden with css. But the files-app is used for sent files in Talk.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for replying.
and whatā€™s the licecing policy in that case, if I need only Talk ?

You simply canā€™t.

Talk is a nextcloud app, is like if you want the carā€™s windows operating without any battery or enginge.

Same as always. Free and open source.

Yes.

@xaaru
Read GitHub - nextcloud/server: ā˜ļø Nextcloud server, a safe home for all your data

All contributions to this repository from June 16, 2016, and onward are considered to be licensed under the AGPLv3 or any later version.
Nextcloud doesnā€™t require a CLA (Contributor License Agreement). The copyright belongs to all the individual contributors. Therefore we recommend that every contributor adds the following line to the header of a file if they changed it substantially:
[ā€¦]

And server/COPYING at master Ā· nextcloud/server Ā· GitHub (server)
And https://github.com/nextcloud/spreed/blob/master/COPYING (spreed ā†’ Talk)