Nextcloud Talk (Android) v3.2.0beta3 is out!

This release comes as we’re about to leave the 2018 and sail into the 2019.
Many hours and contributions have went into it and while lots of things are too
small to mention, overall, they form a significantly improved experience over
Nextcloud Talk 3.1. However, it wouldn’t be a release without some of the highlight
features being mentioned, right?

So I’d like to mention two really special features:

• Completely reworked UI flow

• cleaner, no more bottom navigation view
    • better transitions handling
    • a nice touch with your personal avatar for entering the settings screen
  • Added support for loading remote images

• app now supports parsing messages and it will show images when it can
    • it supports all the regular image formats + progressive JPEGs, animated GIFs and WebP animations
    • this might not work just yet in all cases as we do some magic to make it happen
    • we also treat Giphy and Tenor specially (since they’re two of the most popular GIF providers)
      to make sure their GIFs work and are represented in an appropriate way

Like mentioned earlier, this release also has a tons of improvements and bug fixes, and I hope
you never notice them as you use the app and feel them instead.

In any case, if you’re not part of the beta team just yet, now is the time to join:

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.nextcloud.talk2

Enjoy,
Mario

Edit: Beta2 is out with logs of smaller improvements and bug fixes, but most important of all is the ability to view screenshares done from the Web client!

Edit: Beta3 brings support for Twitter emoji keyboard.

6 Likes

Hi Mario,
thank you for the new beta version.
Everything is running good with nextcloud 15.
Even the emojis are there.
Audio/Video call runs well but connecting needs some 10 seconds seconds.
How about a dial tone?
Thank you and hoping for the next version updates
DDA

I will probably add it eventually even if there’s no REAL calling involved in WebRTC. Thanks for using the app.

I also miss dial tones.
I just tested the beta with Nextcloud 14.03. - Emojis can apparently not be sent yet. Is that correct?

In the chat you should delete the status messages (you have left the call, etc…) after a certain time. Otherwise it is quite confusing.

They can if you have a 3rd-party keyboard, we do not ship an emoji keyboard just yet.

As for the join/left messages - I’ll just add timestamps eventually, we do not delete messages.

???
I sent a message from my Android smartphone today. I could insert Emojis, but they weren’t sent.

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/stable/admin_manual/configuration_database/mysql_4byte_support.html?highlight=byte

Take a look at this - maybe your database doesn’t support emojis.

Thank you very much, I made the changes and now it works.:+1: :smile:
However, the settings are

• innodb_large_prefix=true
  • innodb_file_format=barracuda
    not a standard with many webhosters.:slightly_frowning_face:

Now to a new problem:
the latest beta version crashes when using Android 9 (Nokia 7 plus) as soon as you tap a chat. You can select a contact and send a message only once.
With Android 8.1 (Moto G5) it works. Apparently there are problems with Android 9.

What is latest beta for you? Beta3 or beta4? :slight_smile: I use Android 9 daily and it works like a charm - and there are also no crashes in the Play Store console :frowning:

Oh, already Beta 4 :sweat: - I had tested with Beta 3.
But I just updated it and now it works again.
Very nice!:grinning:

You’re too fast for me…

Hi,
I use the Beta 4 too. Now I have again the Problem with the phone call. If I click the phone symbol the other phone rings. On clicking the phone symbol there the Call window vanishes. If I click the symbol in the chat window again the Call starts.
If I do the same by clicking the video symbol the Connection starts normal without vanashing.
Server is nextcloud 15.0.2

I’ll investigate, but usually I’d appreciate a bug - hard for me to keep track of all mediums :slight_smile:

Hi Mario,
I am testing 16.0.0 Beta 3 at the moment and all phones are working with Talk v3.3.0beta3

A new problem is that I am not able to delete a conversation.

Is that on purpose?

DDA

If it’s one-to-one conversation, then yes. You can however leave the conversation.

If it’s a group/public conversation, then it’s a bug - let me know :slight_smile:

Hi
group/public seems to be okay:

The one-to-one conversation I could delete in 15 or keep if I did not delete it
But now if I go out and go back again, the old conversation is still there until I die?
It would be nice if I can delete the whole conversation.

Well, it should always be there because the other person might still want the content of the chat.

But something does seem to be wrong, so I’ll check it out.

Thank you Mario. And thank you too for the good work until now.
I am sure you will find a solution.
See you

DDA

Should be fixed now btw :slight_smile:

Hi Mario
It is fixed in the new version v6.0beta3 if both sides leave.
So, text chat ist fine.

Hi,
I use the v6.0beta3 now and liketwo month before I have again the Problem with the phone call. If I click the phone symbol the other phone rings. On clicking the phone symbol there the Call window vanishes. If I click the symbol in the chat window again the Call starts.
If I do the same by clicking the video symbol the Connection starts normal without vanashing.
Server is nextcloud 16.0.0 rc2

If I switch off the turn server it ist ok with the huawei P8max but nearly the same problem with mediapad 3 and mate 8
Thank you
Det

Hi
just tried another nextcloud server and there it seems to be ok.
I will try to find the setup problem.
Det