Support intro
Pixel XL- 32GB
Laptop 1TB

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.7): 20.0.7
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04.2): Ubuntu 20.04.2
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): replace me
PHP version (eg, 7.4): replace me

The issue you are facing:
I’m new to NC. How does NC handle device space issues? Eg. I have 2TB of photos, docs, etc on NC Server; what happens when I try to sync my 32GB phone? My 1TB laptop? Do they all have to allocate the hard drive space for the smallest capacity device? Can there be a section on NC that is not synced but still visible and the items within that directory are downloadable (more like a server directory)? For instance, iCloud photos syncs and uploads all photos but somehow intelligently manages those items as the device requires…

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

The mobile app doesn’t sync files. It accesses them directly on the server. It does have a function to auto-upload new photos or videos.

No, nothing like that… It allocates the amount of space used by your files that are being synced. This isn’t block storage.

You can choose to sync or not sync particular folders on a particular computer running the desktop client.

There is another desktop client in development that works more like Google file stream (all files are visible and downloaded on demand), but last I heard it was not yet production ready.

1 Like

Got t! Yes, works great for desktop client, thanks for the clarity. I noticed that my phone cannot see any of the newly added sync folders from the laptop. Is this a deliberate privacy feature or can I choose to have these files visible on the mobile client?

Your phone should see the full contents of your data on the server. It may take a moment for it to sync from the laptop. You can see sync progress with the tray icon.

1 Like

Yes, the new info is finally showing up. Thanks for your help!