Nextcloud site not working

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 25.0.5snap2
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu Server 22.04.2
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache 2.4.52-1ubuntu4.4
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.1.2-1ubuntu2.11

The issue you are facing: Site Wont load

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Open rpiserver.sytes.net or LOCALIP/nextcloud

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

NA

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

Dont know how to do

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

NA

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

NA

I used this guide: [here](https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-and-configure-nextcloud-on-ubuntu-20-04) and used a self set up cert

Hello,

It seems you are using snap version of Nextcloud. However it is little unclear about your machine setup.

Please consider adding few more details,

like,

1. Are you self hosting or using Cloud VPS from Digital Ocean
  2. If you are self hosting, then are you doing it via a seperate physical system or via VM inside a single computer. Please share some details including the network (if it is within LAN).

Snap is the easiest to setup as all it takes is,

1. Clean Installation of Ubuntu Server with SSH access
  2. Firewall configured to allow (open) port 80/443
  3. Running 3 commands
sudo snap install nextcloud
sudo nextcloud.manual-install your_user_name your_password
sudo nextcloud.occ config:system:set trusted_domains 1 --value=your.ip.address

Done…

You will be able to access the nextcloud installation via http://your.ip.address

Thanks.

Hello, I apologize.

Its a Pi400. Set up with Ubuntu Server.

I have installed Newcloud. My issue was that the website would not load. I still hav e the same issue now, but a little different. My local IP brings me to the Nextcloud site, but it only shows me the example files. How do I access the files on my device?
With my domain I set up on No-IP it still wont work and it returns a connection timed out error? What do I do to fix this? This was my entire goal, to be able to access my files when not connected to my wifi.

Hello,

Please approach your problem or requirements one step at time. It helps to troubleshoot and achieve the desired result faster.

Here is my personal view for the steps, one at a time.

1. Getting the OS / Hardware ready

Ensure clean installation of Ubuntu Server LTS installation without any other modification done to it. Best is to format and install a clean OS. Run apt update and apt upgrade to ensure upto date installation.

2. Ensure a static IP (Local LAN / NAT) for the OS (Your Pi400)

You can set it at the time of installation or you can use your router for MAC address based IP finding under DHCP Static Lease section.

3. Getting Nextcloud installed and working within local network

Install Nextcloud snap, ensure proper working within your local network. If you may please refer above to my last reply, I have written the steps for installation commands.

Once you have a working nextcloud (without external access or SSL) within local network, now you can move to next step,

1. Making the Server available online
  2. Activating SSL / Installing the certificates

Please do till the step three, once you have success till that, you can move to step 4 & 5.

So check and inform if you are able to get till step 3 done or not.

Thanks.

Hello,
The server has been running for some time. I am fine using ssh but I want to give my family access and so ssh is not an option for them.
I dont have a static IP so I got a domain from No-IP and set it up on my pi. That Domain is rpiserver.sytes.net I use it to connect via ssh.
I get the nextcloud site on my local IP but nothing on my public IP.
I think I am done all the above steps.

Hello,

I am sorry but it seems you are confusing things here.

SSH is not required for any users of Nextcloud. SSH access is required for installation / maintenance / configuration, basically server-side administration.

Users will have their nextcloud based credentials and will use nextcloud via web or app. They dont need SSH at all.

Don’t you have access to your home local network router? Since it is extremely hard to operate a server without a Static IP (Port forwarding issue)

But I think you are confusing between Local NAT IP and Public Internet IP.

Usually, within your local network, you do have access to the router that manages the LAN Network and NAT IPs. So assigning a Static local LAN IP to your Pi400 NIC should not be an issue.

If your Nextcloud installation is working within LAN but not via your Public IP, then there is no fault in your nextcloud setup. Rather, it is something to do with your network layout, type of IP sent out by your ISP (watch out for CG-NAT) and port forwarding rules of your router

DDNS service like No-IP needs your router to have a Public IP (CG-NAT based IP won’t work) and port forwarding to your Pi400 Static LAN IP.

Consider checking those.

Thanks.