NextCloud Redundancy

Hi there,

I am looking into using NextCloud to provide file storage for my business. However, it would be very important to have redundancy in our system so that it stays running if one server goes down.

So I watched this video from NextCloud 2017 Conference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kGF4Pa5kdg which showed this slide of a fully redundant implementation of NextCloud where the application layer, the database layer and the storage layer are on separate servers.

I had a few questions about this configuration.

1. Would I need 6 separate servers or could I simplify it and just allow 2 servers to run all three layers?
  2. Would I need to have NextCloud installed on all my servers?
  3. Can these servers be in different locations or would they all have to be in the same datacentre?
  4. Does at least one server need to be running for all 3 layers in order for NextCloud to work?
  5. Would this be configurable within the NextCloud administration system or would I also have to configure this within the server itself?

Thanks!

Perhaps you can use this similar article

1. Would I need 6 separate servers or could I simplify it and just allow 2 servers to run all three layers?
    Depends on what you needed

2. Would I need to have NextCloud installed on all my servers?
    You must only install the needed service for the server like nginx, apache2, mariadb, redis, backup …

3. Can these servers be in different locations or would they all have to be in the same datacentre?
    Most it is not a good idea to split it over different datacenters

4. Would this be configurable within the NextCloud administration system or would I also have to configure this within the server itself?
    Both.