Nextcloud-plugin @ TrueNAS fails to get good certificate

i was just copying what you had written in the answer before. Or do you think I’d keep track of everything I write until forever? With all respect: I had several calls and emails in between my answers, my attention got distracted several times.

@bb77 suggested to mark this solved. and it really IS solved. Thanks bb77.
I’m outta here.

You could have just left it alone after the first anwser @JimmyKater gave you. Why are you splitting hairs here?

TrueNAS is released by iX Systems. And if you look at the contributors on the GitHub page for the Nextcloud jail, you will see that the only “official” on that list works for iX Systems. And yes Nextcloud is obviously maintained by the Nextcloud GmbH. And yes these two companies have some kind of agreement. But! …and this is a big but! This makes no difference to you as a home user, when it comes to getting support. Everything you get as a home user is community support, whether it is TrueNAS core or Nextcloud (Community Edition). Also most of the Nextcloud appliances and community projects are maintained and driven by the community, including this forum btw. If you need “official” answers to satisfy your ego, send an email to the customer support of the companies involved and/or buy a TrueNAS Enterprise appliance.

Btw. I did not flag your last two comments. But it’s probably in your best intrest to delete them anyways… :wink:

WRT your last remark: seems they are flagged already and I cannot remove them anymore.

I have searched for documentation, in the context ‘truenas’ and ‘nextcloud’. Then I found a presentation on Youtube that helped a little bit but still felt strange. Then I saw that the stuff at YT was inadequate (it gives a negative feeling about the plugin), by looking at some scripts in the installation.

It took me some time to find a really useful README.md but that was in he FREENAS github.

IMHO I’m not splitting hairs, and also not in search of paid support. I just wanted to know if the plugin was supported by the TrueNAS or by the Nextcloud community and get support from the appropiate community.

I will now turn to the TrueNAS-community to ask them to add a pointer to the FreeNAS-README to their installation documentation.

The communication was not very good, I can see that, but I fail to understand that’s only my fault. Some remarks were not very emphatic. I felt slapped in the face. Your remark about my ego adds to the feeling.

I agree. And yes I was maybe a little snarky an I should have probably left it alone. But I also tried to give you some tips and directions what you could do to solve your problem or where you could find more detailed help or instructions, which you did eventually. For me this thread was solved and forgotten until you resurected it with your question about the “not_nc_related” category… :wink:

I would suggest not using the nextcloud plugin in TrueNAS – in fact I would recommend not using any of the plugins within TrueNAS. I run TrueNAS core. I like it. The plugins are horribly maintained. They often break. When they work they are versions behind. Do yourself a favor and just install nextcloud within a jail and then you have control over the entire stack – Here’s a really good guide: How to install Nextcloud on FreeNAS in an iocage jail with hardened security - Samuel Dowling

I don’t use iocage at all. That’s why I could not give you more detailed advise. I also don’t know how well the plugins are maintained. But if I wanted to run Nextcloud on my TrueNAS Box, I would probably build my own jail and install it manually rather than depending on sombody else maintaining a plugin. That’s actually what I do, but I do it in a Linux VM on my Proxmox host, because I’m way more familiar with Linux than with FreeBSD. TrueNAS is a great storage appliance though, and I wouldn’t want to miss it for that purpose. :slight_smile: