Nextcloud opens router login panel

I managed to setup nextcloud with Docker Desktop on Win 11.

All containers are up and running but when I click on “open your nextcloud” it just opens my routers login panel and I am stuck.

Ports are opened and forwarded and I do have a static public IP.

Additionally: When I try to enter https://mystaticip:443 nothing happens and when I enter https://mystaticip it says that the connection is not secure. I have a Fritzbox btw.

It depends, are you inside your network? If so you will probably want to explore split DNS or NAT Hairpining. Basically if you’re attempting to connect to the outside of the network from inside the network the router may just be set to return it’s own address.

Alternatively it could be your router is unable to resole the dns query and is simply returning it’s own address. Do an nslookup on your client machine and see what details you’re getting back.

If you are outside the network, well getting the router login page is critically bad. Reset to factory default and start again, something is very wrong.

thanks for the tips!

when I try to access NC from inside the network I end up on the router login page.

when I try to access NC from outside the network I get the “connection is not secure” error - ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

I tried to set up a subdomain (cloud.mydomain.at ) with an letsencrypt certificate which is redirected to my dynv6 dns which is connected to my router. Even when I redirect the subdomain directly to my statc ip or when I try to access NC over the dynv6 address I get the cnnection is not secure error.

when I try to access NC from inside the network I end up on the router login page.

Then it’s a DNS issue (or lack of hair-pinning but that’s never particularly recommended anyway) with this part. Your computer is probably attempting to access the external IP and the router is what you get back.

when I try to access NC from outside the network I get the “connection is not secure” error - ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR

If memory serves the ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR is typically cause by accessing an resource that should be encrypted but it’s returning either a broken/outdated cert or no encrypted data at all.

How did you import the ssl cert? I note in the OP you said it returned as insecure. Sounds like it could be that the proxy (either external to the Nextcloud container or inside) isn’t able to use the cert. Check the permissions of the cert, if it’s not DNS it’s usually permissions.

1 Like