Nextcloud on Raspberry PI 3b+ throws protocol errors when multiple files are being synched

I’m running a nginx server with Nextcloud 15 installed on a Raspberry PI 3b+ (Rasbian OS). Currently I’m trying to synchronise large amounts of files via the windows sync client (with E2E-encryption enabled, client version 2.5.1final). After a couple of files suddenly tons of HTTP/2 protocol errors appear in the sync client. In the server logs the following error appears:

2019/01/13 12:27:21 [error] 615#615: *41580 connect() to unix:/var/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock failed (11: Resource temporarily unavailable) while connecting to upstream, client: {my IPv6}, server: {my domain}, request: "PUT /remote.php/dav/files/tipe/Pi-Drive/{some filename} HTTP/2.0", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php/php7.0-fpm.sock", host: "{my domain}"

What surprises me the most is that the synchronisation after each restart works for the first couple of files before it breaks.

I narrowed it down to files in folders that use the end-to-end encryption. Additionally I noticed that e2e-encrypted files that are being synced successfully can not be opened with my other clients (even though I did enter the correct mnemonic passphrase)

Any idea where this could come from or how to debug properly?

Go through your logfiles. It looks a bit like you are very low on memory and your systems starts to kill processes (just a guess).

I’d first try with unencrypted files and standard transfer, and do the E2E encryption in a second step (this function is new on the client and a few problems were reported and are still under investigation).

Thank you for your response!

I can confirm that the error does not appear when End-to-End Encryption is switched of. But since this feature is advertised for over a year now shouldn’t it generally work? Since the encryption and decryption is done on the client side there should be also no big additional workload for the server, right?
Is there any way to debug this further?

I’d love to have my Nextcloud running with E2E-Encryption enabled without an external tool.