Nextcloud on a Intel NUC with Celeron

Hello,

I have at the moment Linux Ubuntu with a nextcloud 20 working on a Intel NUC i3 (3 Ghz) and it works like a charm. I need a second Nextcloud server that will need access by 3 users only. I was wondering if a celeron NUC (1,5 Ghz) would be plenty enough!!! What are your experience?

Any help would be appreciatedā€¦

regards,
Edwin

1 Like

I have recently set up NextCloud on a Raspberry 4B with 4GByte RAM for three home users.

Works without issues. Just in case youā€™re looking for something alternatively.
The image named ā€œNextCloudPiā€ works perfect on it.

It might be cheaper than the smallest Intel device. If you need more power, the image is also available for Banana PI, Armbian or Rock64 devices

Iā€™d actually recommend this Intel Pentium NUC over any Celeron NUC:
Model Nr. BOXNUC7PJYH

Here a video (sorry german) for more power than a Pi (if interested)

I have an unused raspberry PI somewhere. I might try this route. You may have saved me from spending some hundreds of eurosā€¦

It depends on the model. Some have installed it on a Raspberry 3B+ which might work, but donā€™t expect a good performance. A Raspberry 4 performs much better, especially with 2 or 4 GB RAM

The NextcloudPi Image seem to be well optimized for this device
You should also consider an external USB drive. Much faster and you can also move the DB to that to reduce write attempts to the SDCard. But this can be managed also very easy with the NCP image.

I just checked. I have a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ with 1Gb of RAM onlyā€¦

It would work, but the performance might be not sufficient.
Maybe thinking about a Raspberry 4 or any of the other 8 core SoC devices instead of a tiny PC

Thanks. This helps me a lot. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m currently using a Pi 4 4GB setup with a NCP image.
I have 7 users and lots of apps, itā€™s really on the limit, and Iā€™m thinking of buying a second hand NUC. But I find it very difficult to compare it to my current setup.

I could buy a NUC6CAYS for cheap, but I wonder if it would be any better or only use 4x as much electricity and bring no improvement in speed.

thanks for any suggestions and hints

Iā€™d recommend this model:
BOXNUC7PJYH
And BTW: the TDP is the max. power consumption. in reality (e.g. idle) the power consumption of NUCā€™s is much less then the TDP: I see around 6W in idle with an internal SSD (It is around the same for more powerful NUCā€™s, too).

this looks absolutely amazing, but I will never get that past my government :sweat_smile:
$US 100.- is as far as I can go right now.

These are the real manā€™s problemsā€¦
I feel with you

1 Like

do you know about these small PC: ?

there is also comparison with Rpi ā€¦

Not really a comparison. Neither from performance nor from price.

The documented HPE ProLiant Micro Server with 8 GB RAM starts at $450, you can get 10 Pi4 for it.
They attract with a Windows license (Desktop, not Server). But there is no need running Nextcloud on Windows.

PI4 with 4G ram cost 52ā‚¬ and you need to add some SSD drive + some good 5V PSU

Of course it will be cheaper then this
https://www.refurbished.sk/en/intel-core-i5-281/hp-elitedesk-800-g2-dm-188854

anyway, everybody has to think about adventages and disadnetages.
for me it is not clear that RPi is winner here.

It was only a price comparison. Running 10 Pi as a cluster is more difficult than simply buying them.

Iā€™ve changed my setup now at home and use also a Mini-PC (Fujitsu Q920, Intel i5 4950T). Performance is not comparable

Whatever I run on RPi - Kodi, Asterisk, Wordpress, Nextcloud - was always suffering from power supply instabilities. By the time you remedy this - good adapters, UPS - the savings from not using something better are goneā€¦

1 Like

I have three Pi running here, all with original power supply. None of them ever failed in the different environments.

If you do price comparsions, you have to do them rightā€¦ :wink:

Not only more dificult, but also more expensive. While you might not need a seperate case for each Raspi, you definitvely need some case and a PSU for each Raspi. In addition to that you need a switch and patch cables. Maybe with a cluster of five you can match the price of the HP-Server. Ok and then you have a cluster with more cores and more RAM in total, of which an application like nextcloud can derive little to no advantage, because the compute power and the RAM is clustered over multiple nodes.

Same thing if you compare single board computers with NUCs. A Celeron NUC is not necessary that much more expensive. An 8GB Raspi4 with a case, PSU and storage can can easy hit the 200$ mark. And the x86 Celeron single board computers (OrDroid and others) are definitely not worth it, compared to a NUC with Celeron and imho also not compared to an i3 NUC, if you donā€™t just look strictly at the price.

And what most of the single board computer fans seem to forget is, that not everybody wants to thinker with things. A NUC always comes with a case, a suitable cooling solution and a PSU. The RAM is socketed and therefore expandable. A NVME and a 2.5 ā€˜ā€™ disk can be installed directly inside the case and do not have to be plugged in via USB and somehow glued into a 3D-printed plastic case together with the board. :wink:

1 Like