Operating system and version: Ubuntu 20.04
Apache or nginx version: Apache 2.4.41
PHP version: 7.4
Self-signed certificates

Client:
Windows 10
RAIDrive 2020.2.12

The issue you are facing:

I have a Nextcloud server running in my home LAN.
Some personal folders are shared between accounts.

The issue is related to WebDAV access, not to local copies of server folders.

From my Windows 10 PCs, I want to connect the personal WebDAV share into the Explorer.
As I didn’t get the Windows WebDAV implementation connected because of the self-signed certificates, I have tried a number of 3rd party tools: Net-Drive, MountainDuck and RAIDrive.

With all of them, I face the following behaviour when editing files:

For files in my own folders, for each edit operation a version is created in accordance with the history rules. This is okay.

For files in a folder which has been shared with me, no versions are created when I edit the file.
I always find “modified a few second ago” but “no other versions available”.

What am I doing wrong?

Steps to replicate it:

1. Nextcloud server, multiple account, folder shared from one account to another
  2. WebDAV access with RAIDrive from Windows 10 to the 2nd account
  3. Edit a file in a shared folder
    Expected: Versions of the file are created on the server
    Observed: No versions are created, only the edited file is visible

If you modify a file in the web interface, you have the same issue? The owner of the file can see versions?

If you modify a file in the web interface, you have the same issue? The owner of the file can see versions?

I can confirm that thre is no issue with file versioning when I edit a file via the web interface (I used Collabora/code to edit the file). Both, me and the owner, can see a version created.

Versions are created, too, for files which are synchronized to my local disc (with the Nextcloud desktop program) when I edit them locally. But I don’t have enough local disc space to copy everything to my disc…

After having lived with this issue for a year, I now want to solve it.

In the meantime, loads of “trashed file versions” have been produced, but I would like to make them become “real file versions”.
Hence, what I need is a HACK to create a version of a file with a given timestamp, insert this version in the file’s history and fterwards let the retention manager work on the history.

Can anybody help me with such hack?