Nextcloud installation dead, due to missing simplexml_load_file function

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 19.0.0
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 16.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu)
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4

The issue you are facing:

Installation dead, due to following error:

Error: Call to undefined function OC\App\simplexml_load_file() at /var/www/nextcloud/lib/private/App/InfoParser.php#65 2021-04-08T22:30:49+00:00

Note that I have uninstalled and re-installed php-simplexml and php-xml and checked all version numbers (7.4)

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. sudo -u www-data php occ log:watch
  2. access any nextcloud page with browser

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

NO ACCESS

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'debug' => true,
  'instanceid' => 'xxxxxxxxxxxxx',
  'passwordsalt' => 'xxxxxxxxxxxxx',
  'secret' => 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx',
  'trusted_domains' =>
  array (
    0 => 'rednoise.org',
  ),
  'datadirectory' => '/var/www/nextcloud/data',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'https://server/nextcloud',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '19.0.0.12',
  'dbname' => 'xxxxxxxxxxxxx',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'dbuser' => 'xxxxxxxxxxxxx',
  'dbpassword' => 'xxxxxxxxxxxxx',
  'installed' => true,
  'mail_from_address' => 'xxxxxxxxx',
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'php',
  'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'xxxxx',
  'mail_domain' => 'xxxxxxxx',
  'maintenance' => false,
  'data-fingerprint' => 'xxxxxxxxxxxxx',
  'loglevel' => 2,
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

58.153.66.116 - - [08/Apr/2021:18:37:00 -0400] "GET /nextcloud/ HTTP/1.1" 500 644 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.15; rv:87.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/87.0"
58.153.66.116 - daniel [08/Apr/2021:18:37:13 -0400] "GET /nextcloud/status.php HTTP/1.1" 200 3684 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh) mirall/2.3.3 (build 84) (Nextcloud)"

Did you try a package with version: php7.4-xml

Is there a reason to use NC 19.0.0? Minor updates include bug fixes and security fixes and should be installed (Changelog – Nextcloud). No new features are added and no depencies change, so there is little risk of breaking something.
Major upgrade (to NC 20) can be more tricky, new features, third-party apps that might not run (yet), other dependencies, …
But that is independent from your problem.

yes, tried that several times. with the same error

I will update to the most recent 19, but, as you say, seems a separate issue

I’m at a loss how to proceed and I now have a fully dead Nextcloud installation.

I’m thinking that I will need to install the latest Nextcloud version and basically start over.

Can someone please point me toward a step-by-step on how to extract the data from the dead v19 instance (it is also synced to various programs on my laptop client: mail, calendar, contacts, etc.), and import it into a fresh Nextcloud install?