NextCloud Hub running on hosting Partners

The NextCloud hub announcement said that 18 would slowly get rolled out. I get that early bugs can be dealt with before everyone is onboard.
I see that Ionos is only offering NextCloud version 16 as stated on their website.
Are there any hosting partners offering NextCloud hub now? I have several clients that want me to get them up and running ASAP (new installs, not upgrades so only half the headaches).

1 Like

There are very few since it just was released.

I am running 18 on most of my systems ( I am a partner ) Most new installations is running in 18 unless something special that doesn’t work on 18 is needed.

If you have clients yourself don’t you use your own servers for hosting? In that case you could already get the newest version up and running!

1 Like

The production channel is on 16.0.7 that’s why most hosting services are on this version. I’m hosting on my own hardware for multiple clients and I will not risk going further than what the production channel delivers.

The production channel got deprecated for non-enterprise users, so everybody still on that channel has a problem because they probably won’t ever see a newer version on it. The problem is already discussed here in another thread.

1 Like

newby question… I just installed Nextcloud 17. Is that already Nextcloud Hub or is the Hub another system? If its indeed different and not just an upgrate, what is the difference? And sorry, if this question does not belong here. I am still getting familiar with the forum.
Best, Angela

For “Nextcloud Hub” see here: https://nextcloud.com/hub/

It’s just a name for Nextcloud including all the apps which are used for collaboration, e.g. file sharing, Nextcloud Talk, groupware apps like calendar and contacts etc.

3 Likes

to recommend you a solution

what are the recquirements of your customers ?

users
quantity of data

It is a fancy name for Nextcloud 18. There are more apps installed by default (office stuff), but you can disable them and it’s just like before.

2 Likes

This refers to the updater app. This is more for people on their on system, then the updater app checks for updates, and this is rolled out slowly. Hosters and other larger system don’t just upgrade like this, they usually run a few tests, check the compatibility of their systems and the used apps. If you have the URL of a setup, you can check the version with scan.nextcloud.com

We just discussed this with the engineers at thegood.cloud. We are thinking of an early adopter program which we could give the latest and greatest.

But it has risks, we normally take 1-2 months before rolling out new versions. And with good reason, as we see lots of bugs and core functionality broken in the early releases.

3 Likes

That is pretty much what we do at kafit. Small instances can be early adopters. And most new instances gets the latest release.

1 Like

Our testing so far has shown Nextcloud 18 to be not quite ready for prime time. We’ve seen issues with ONLYOFFICE due to Content Security Policy misconfiguration as well as problems with Talk. There are also a few apps that we install by default that don’t yet have versions compatible with 18.

We’re continuing testing and will be rolling out Nextcloud Hub across all of our customers as soon as it meets our quality standards, hopefully soon. In the past it’s taken a few weeks for apps to catch up and a few minor releases to work out the kinks.

In the meanwhile, we’re deploying the latest Nextcloud 17, along with a private ONLYOFFICE server (not the shared demo server), Talk, RainLoop webmail, anti-virus, ransomware protection, a private STUN/TURN server, and an LDAP server for user management on both our stand-alone Nextcloud servers as well as our Core Stack offering.

All of our installs are on secure, dedicated, private servers that are ultimately under your control and never shared with other customers (you can have root-level shell access and take over server management at will). We install, configure, manage, monitor, and upgrade to the latest versions of software.

Please check us out, we’d be happy to work with you to meet your customer’s needs.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. So do I get it right that I need nextcloud 18 to use all the integrations like nextcloud groupware and Onlyoffice? Somewhere I thing I have read that Nextcloud 18 is only available as payed enterprise version is that right?

Nextcloud 18 (aka Nextcloud Hub) adds a few features like UI improvements and detecting calendar invites in email. It also installs the ONLYOFFICE connector by default, but there’s nothing stopping it from being installed in 17.

Contacts, Calendar, and inline office document editing all work fine in Nextcloud 17 so long as everything is installed and configured properly.

1 Like

No. Per default, the onlyoffice can only use 20 connections at the same time. If you don’t want this limit, you have to build it yourself (a bit complicated) or buy enterprise support (don’t start on this here, there was a discussion about this).
Since NC 18 is out a few days and a few bugs were detected, I’d stay on NC 17 for the moment and wait for the next minor release next month.

To be clear, to get beyond the 20 simultaneous connection limit in ONLYOFFICE, you need to purchase a license for ONLYOFFICE, not (necessarily) enterprise support for Nextcloud.

Also, it appears that in Nextcloud 18 the ONLYOFFICE connector uses an ONLYOFFICE demo server by default, which means that documents that are edited on your Nextcloud instance are sent to a third-party server during editing. To ensure that documents stay entirely on servers under your control you need to have your own instance of ONLYOFFICE as well as your own instance of Nextcloud.

StartupStack installs independent instances of both Nextcloud and ONLYOFFICE on a dedicated VM private server for each customer (as well an an independent TURN server allowing private voice/video calls as well). By default we install the community version of ONLYOFFICE which does not require a license, but has the 20 connection limit (20 editing sessions at a time). A separate purchase of a license for ONLYOFFICE will increase that limit.

Also, it appears that in Nextcloud 18 the ONLYOFFICE connector uses an ONLYOFFICE demo server by default, which means that documents that are edited on your Nextcloud instance are sent to a third-party server during editing

Check that again before you spread false information to promote your service.

It’s an understandable misconception, but please note that this is incorrect. What Nextcloud 18 includes is a “community edition” of ONLYOFFICE Document Server, not a shared “community server” run by a third party.
You can find the Nextcloud app that implements this in the store, with build info here:

1 Like

Check that again before you spread false information to promote your service.

No intention to spread false information, please note the use of the term “appears”. We firmly believe in giving accurate information and letting informed customers make up their own minds.

Nextcloud’s early marketing information for 18 certainly implied the installation of an ONLYOFFICE server, but it wasn’t obvious in our initial testing, which admittedly didn’t get very far due to other issues. Nextcloud 18’s ONLYOFFICE connector indicates the use of a “demo server” without specifying where that server is located.

@mactrent: Thank you for the clarification and link to the the server install. We stand corrected.

It’s still unclear to us if that instance can be licensed to get past the 20 connection limit or if another instance needs to be installed in order to be licensed. We’d be happy to learn more.

Either way, our standard installation includes a separate instance of ONLYOFFICE, which can be licensed, upgraded and configured independently, and can also be connected to other services besides Nextcloud. In addition, it also supports working with Nextcloud 17 which was @Angela’s original concern that we responded to.

While the built-in instance is great for getting small installs up and running quickly, we feel that a stand-alone ONLYOFFICE install is a more robust long-term solution at this point. We’ll be revisiting that as the software evolves.