Nextcloud Gmail alternative?

Nextcloud is an amazing project. It replaces Google Drive and Google Calendar with open source alternatives. But from what I understand, it doesn’t provide a Gmail alternative?

Wouldn’t this be quite powerful to provide people with the the complete package? I guess those three are what most people need.

Thanks!

This already has been chewed in the forum here :wink:

Way to go is use your own mailserver and integrate with NC Mailclient app. Integration of an entire mailserver into NC would be a way too big effort compared to gain.

I see, thanks. So, then the way to go is probably with something like https://kolabnow.com/ that doesn’t involve using your own mailserver.

Well, it does not involve anything of your own, it’s again “someone else’s computer” for all services :wink:

True but it’s open source and easy to use. :slight_smile:
Coming from Gmail I need something that just works as easy and convenient as Gmail does.

I was hoping that Nextcloud can provide me with this experience.

Well, for me it does. In private I use a chepo-plan vhost with email serving option (Plesk web config). And NC installed on it with NC Mail-App. Works great for me :slight_smile:

But I think I know what you mean… everything’s better than your old “plan”…

Yeah, sounds too technical for the average Gmail user to switch. :stuck_out_tongue:

True - but I guess the average gmail user not even cares about reducing the probability to “lose” their private data. So I’m almost tempted to think everyone gets what they deserve :wink:

That’s a little harsh :wink:

It is hard to migrate but sadly, running a mail server is pretty hard even with solutions like Mail-in-a-Box so something like myKolab is a good choice. For files, calendar, contact and so on Nextcloud is, of course, a good solution :wink:

1 Like

It would have been, but I was only almost tempted to :slight_smile:

Anyway, it’s true - not having the possibility to click-and-go a mailserver can for sure be a blocker.

1 Like

I don’t disagree, I’d love to run my own. But I know it is hard to do it :frowning: