Nextcloud forum ridiculously slow

the forum is still very slow for me, here in The Netherlandsā€¦
hope something can be done about it

Thatā€™s strange :thinking: Iā€™m in the Netherlands too but it isnā€™t slow at all for me

For me it is browser based.
Los Angeles California

Firefox = very slow :sloth:
Chrome = works :racehorse:
Safari = slow :turtle:

soon = :racing_car:

1 Like

Itā€™s nothing to do with your location, or your browser. Itā€™s simply the MRU of your internet link. If your path to the internet is a full 1500 all the way out, you wonā€™t have a problem. If itā€™s less than 1500, then youā€™re in for pain, as something is broken in the IP stack somewhere at the help.nextcloud.com end of the path. The server is ignoring the mss advertised in the syn packet at the start of each conversation, AND it is ignoring all the ICMP frag needed packets being sent back by your upstream router. Iā€™ve raised this multiple times, but the forum admins donā€™t seem to care. I guess itā€™s working for them, so bugger everyone whoā€™s on PPPOE connections? (aka 50+% of australia, and large parts of the EU?)

It should be trivial to fix, either see what on earth bizarre settings someone has tweaked in the linux kernel or iptables on the server help.nc is hosted on, and fix them, or just shove it behind cloudflare.

1 Like

I tested with MTU size of 1200 and the forum is fast for me now. Definitely not the fastest in the world but initial load with empty cache is 2.5s and reload of 1.2s sounds good for me.

I donā€™t see any difference changing MTU from 1480 to 1200 and back (verified MTU change applied with ping help.nextcloud.com -f -l 1200 -n 1 ) packet size without fragmentation is always 28 bytes smaller than my computerā€™s MTU, for tested MTU sizes of 1480 and 1200ā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m normally in New Zealand but presently in Colombia. We have great internet here - speeds circa 600gb/s. Loading this site this morning took over 7 minutes - just in case anyone thinks itā€™s fixed.

Given the recent advertising (or perhaps suggestion) that next cloud is becoming a true alternative to other 365 style apps - Iā€™d say this should be a very high priority to fix as no one will take a company seriously that canā€™t even get itā€™s forums to work.

1 Like

I agree with you itā€™s a high priority, itā€™s a very tough nut to crack which is why we donā€™t have a timeline but we are not giving up.

3 Likes

I agree with the previous poster. Cloudflare has some fantastic free options available and would be night and day difference if that could be utilised. Unless thereā€™s some architectural reason to use another product such as developing on Amazon and using their cdn to be practical, cloudflare is leading this space far beyond what others are doing and would be a great choice.

1. Test with GTMetrics (from Canada), fully load > 25 s:

2. some fonts are missing

3. do you really need a cookie with 3 MB? (firefox) to track me
    nc_perf_3_20221111

4. again: large images in teaser

looks your POST poll with 251 bytes to help.nextcloud.com takes agesā€¦

everything else is same as in Europeā€¦

Iā€™m pretty sure your assumption about cookies is wrong. the FF dialog you are referring to show a total size of cookies,cache, etc, in my case:

but cookies are only few bytes

Iā€™m in Australia and pages dont even load at all any more. Been like that for months.
As a work around I use a Proton VPN account connected to the Netherlands. Then pages load like any other website.
Really hope the admins can sort this out soon.

1 Like

Yeah, this is really sloppy and reflects poorly on Nextcloud.

It looks like @rendrag has presented a good analysis of the problem, not good enough for this problem to be persisting so long.

I also note that the issue that @tflidd posted is now an archived repository, so probably needs to be reopened.

Support intro

Sorry to hear youā€™re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

The issue you are facing:
Community discourse instance can not be opened from Australia, or takes minutes to load.
If accessed from the main page https://help.nextcloud.com/ then it can hardly be opened even after several minutes it is still loading with five dots.

No adblock is turned on for this site.

If luck, sometimes the website can be opened within like 10 seconds or so, so I can register and post this. But most of the time it can not be opened.

I donā€™t see any waf challenge. Only thing showing is the five dots and takes many minutes still can not be opened.

Tried to open it through digital ocean vps in sydney , same result.

Browser is Chrome /Firefox /edge.

More test:
broadband with google/cloudflare dns, can not open;
vpn into digital oceanā€™s sydney vps ip+cloudlare dns, can not open.
mobile network: fast access no issue.
vpn into europe country: fast access no issue.

So the issue could be the broadband Iā€™m using?

Tracert on mobile network: (works)

Tracert on broadband:

Is this the first time youā€™ve seen this error? (Y/N):N

Steps to replicate it:

1. access from Australia down under

@prefix3826 I moved your port into this thread as it seems to be same issue as the one from @tetra

It looks general performance of the forum improved and users in Europe donā€™t hit many issues anymore. As accessing the forum works through VPN and mobile it must be related to network - I have no idea what could be special in Australia but it looks the issue affects many/multiple users.

additionally it is very uncommon latency jumps 240ms on one hop within network of one provider - from the hostname sounds itā€™s still in AU - and this 240ms are 4 times more then the remaining ā€œlongā€ way to Europe which add ā€œonlyā€ 50ms - this should not happen - one would expect latency to increase when going overseas but not even such huge differenceā€¦ I would ask your provider if they can double check this hopā€¦

1 Like

Thanks.

VPN into Singapore also no issue, loads in 2 seconds.
Itā€™s just my broadband almost never opens the website.
But what about I donā€™t have any issue with nextcloud.com or any other website?

Only the combination of my broadband + the help.nextcloud.com forum together causing issue.

Ane read from this thread, it seems not only users from Australia, there are other users from other countires also have similar issue.

So Iā€™d think the server/site configration with some kind of broadband structure/configaration together caused the issue. It is not limited to some particular broadband provider in Australia.

For the big latency jumps, yes it looks like it is within the same cityā€™s two points. Usual ping between two computers should be less than 10ms within the city, and ping from Brisbane to Sydney should be less than 20ms, but those are out of the userā€™s reach.

1 Like

I think it might be related to the CDN service the site is using.

After the .js and .css has been loaded and cached on local disk/memory, then
opening the homepage or link wonā€™t be a problem any more.
(I have to first load the js and css via vpn link, then exit vpn works).

If I try to load via incogniziton window or clear cache, then it wonā€™t work anymore.

Compare the CDN service for help.nextcloud.com and nextcloud.com to see any difference.

1 Like

I am in Singapore. I have different experience for help.nextcloud.com in different days.
And same as apps.nextcloud.com, looks it is not a CDN related issue as I never clear my cache, but I hit multiple times in a week it took more than 10s to open help.nextcloud.com threads or got timeout to load the app list from apps.nextcloud.com. After a while, it become faster again.

Iā€™ve no issue with https://apps.nextcloud.com/ or nextcloud.com.

10s should be considered as network congestion instead of a real issue that is original from help.nextcloud.com server/cdn

good point.

In theory we have to check the way back as well. For you it is just the routing from your home to help.nextcloud.com, but the data are sent from help.nextcloud.com to your ip that might take a different route.

It can happen that between the networks (peering), sometimes the connections are saturated. In theory, they should manage to handle this, taking different routes and upgrading peering connections.

Another problem is that within each operator, they can prioritize/filter packages with criteria unknown to public.

Will you try curl -o /dev/null --compressed https://help.nextcloud.com/assets/foo and share the result?

Get the actual URL from the browserā€™s developer tools window, under network. Sort by size and choose the largest asset/resource/file (typically the Discourse Javascript). This is a straightforward repeatable test Iā€™ve been doing for a while now. It is nicely constrained test. It is reliably slow when I am at home and reliably fast most other places I try it.

Hereā€™s a slow example, from just now:

$ resource_url="https://help.nextcloud.com/assets/discourse-fa0bebf654588c3e45c7d642211b1a3a7f39649c44fec50bcbf3317afdb6b976.js"
$ curl -o /dev/null --compressed "$resource_url"
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  508k  100  508k    0     0   9617      0  0:00:54  0:00:54 --:--:-- 10344

10KB/s is relatively quite slow.

For your test, if it stalls for you at the beginning (or doesnā€™t download), thatā€™s useful to know too. Youā€™ll feel that during normal forum use.