Nextcloud failed to update from 17 to 18

Hi, can anyone help me,

I tried to update from nextcloud v16 to v18, however, it failed and said version not compatible even though I was on nextcloud pi version 1.25. I read somewhere that it might be because I was using quite an old image, it was from november 2019 I think. So I backed up the instance using nc-backup and then backed up the configuration using nc-export-ncp. I left my external drive as it was. I then flashed the latest image from the 28th of march, it started with nextcloud v18, but when I restored my instance and imported the configuration, it reverted back to v16. I then attemted to update to v18, however it failed again with the same message that the versions were not compatible and I am stuck on v16. I there any way to use nextcloud 18 without having to reflash and then configure it again manually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

you can only update 1 Version at a time. safest way is to use the internal update mechanism for going to 18. just updated a cloud from 14 to 18 in 15 minutes without a problem.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I first updated to 16 to 17.0.0 and it was fine, I was using the internal update mechanism, but didn’t realize that you can only update one version at a time, however, when going from 17 to 18, I got this error

Updating workflowengine …
Doctrine\DBAL\Exception\InvalidFieldNameException: An exception occurred while executing ‘UPDATE oc_flow_operations SET entity = ? WHERE entity = ‘’’ with params [“OCA\WorkflowEngine\Entity\File”]:

SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column ‘entity’ in ‘where clause’
Update failed
Maintenance mode is kept active
Reset log level
Abort
Clean up…

Can anyone help?

NCP users are advised to use nc-update-nextcloud to upgrade from one version to the next, you can not skip major version tho, and should enable all auto-updates . Or regularly run update’s manually (2x month minimal)

Hi, thanks for your reply, I will do that in the future, but is there any way to get my instance updated, like maybe changing a line in the work flow engine file that caused the failed update

Would be for NC dev to answer

I’d try using nc-update-nextcloud.
First from 16 to 17 first, then from 17 to 18.

Ok, thank you, how would I go about getting a dev to answer, I managed to update to the latest version of 17, but am unable to update to 18