Nextcloud encryption on file level with windows

hi folks, I may need to write a bit more to understand my request for help.

I would like to have my data on my truenas sever encrypted on file level.
Truenas offers something natively integrated in ZFS but that does not suit the requirement.

So I thought about nextcloud as it has server encryption. I did a testrun , which was very promissing. client send it to the nextcloud instance and it was encrypted.
Great, until the moment I realized WebDAV under windows is only able to handle files below 4GB.

So I wonder what other ways are possible to archive that.
Basic NAS scenario, no files shall remain on the windows machine. explorer like function would be a very big plus.

Typical file size is from a small kb excel file up to VMs about a few 100gb.

Is there an alternative to webDAV or a know way to bypass the 4gb limit, which handles encryption (apart from browser interface)?

One more questions, does this WebDAV 4gb limit also applies to linux?

one last question, my approach is probably quite unusual to encrypt stuff on a large (32tb) scale. How reliable is this?
The data is mission critical.

before someone asks:
Yes 1st true nas server has redundancy
Yes 2nd truenas offsite backup is available but it will just copy the stuff from the 1st server.
Yes, all ECC memory and servergrade hardware

In case nextcloud encryption will mess up something it will mess my backup as well. Of course there are snapshots, but to rollbacl something you must be aware of a problem. So I point more in a direction where data gets corrupted over time.

Specifically on the webdav size limits and mounting options for the filesystem…

You could also mount your storage via Samba or NFS. See more details under admin documentation. There are quite a few options available. Perhaps TrueNAS documentation will include more specific suggestions for your setup.

Another interesting option for handling mount points in Nextcloud is rclone, which might be a good option for your particular file system and encryption needs.

1 Like

thanks for bringing up rClone, that looks promissing. Will do some testing