Nextcloud Box - Can't access via SSH

It’s all about trade-offs. A default username/pw is bad but how else do you get in? A printed unique password could work but would need unique data on each SD card, not sure we can pull that off easily. You do updates from Ubuntu so effectively they already HAVE root on your device if they wanted too - just like every Debian Developer (or anyone who breaks into the computer of any Debian Developer) can upload a evil file to EVERY Debian system out there. An account makes little difference: you have to trust your OS provider, period.

yeah, sorry, some other developments causing issues :frowning:
but still on my todo.

Yes, the snap environment is almost entirely read-only.[quote=“jospoortvliet, post:22, topic:14500”]
yeah, sorry, some other developments causing issues :frowning:
but still on my todo.
[/quote]

You’re online now… just ping it to us please :slight_smile:

didi you overcome your problems, or are you still struggling?

Still struggling, I haven’t had the opportunity to come back to it seriously these few days…
All I (think I) truly need is the “brand” and “model” but this info is nowhere to be found.

I had the very same problem (working with Windows 10) and i could solve it in the meantime by following the instructions given here How-to-connect-to-the-Nextcloud-Box-with-SSH.
There you follow “The RPI3 compatible new image” (i only did the way with a “keyboard and monitor plugged to the Nextcloud Box”. You return to this later.
Next you follow "First option: Ubuntu SSO account for out-of-box experience (OOBE). There you follow step 2. To create Ubuntu SSO account, go to ​https://login.ubuntu.com.
If you have not created your SSH keys, do it now by following step 6 (or any other way to create SSH keys - there are numerous.), don’t forget a passphrase you can remember. You will need this SSH keys! Without them, you will not be able to connect to your Nextcloud system.
After generating your SSH keys and a passphrase, place the public key in your Ubuntu account and your private key in a save location.
After you have done this, you return to install your Nextcloud system.
I believe your installation was not done with a connected monitor and keyboard and therefore probably not correct. (Even though can connect to it with “http://nextcloud.local”.
Connect Monitor and keyboard and restart.
Now you follow the instruction given in "Out-Of-Box Eperience (OOBE).
At the end of installation you will read on the connected Monitor “Configuration Complete” and some text confirming your registration details at ubuntu followed by two lines. Line 1 reads something like:
sss usernameatubuntu@192.xxx.x.xxx (your Nextcloud box ip number)
(Line 2 is ipv6)
You need this line 1 for your SSH-login into Nextcloud box with PuTTY.
You can do this by following the instruction given here “Log in with an SSH Private Key on Windows”. You begin following the instructions at “Log in to PuTTY with the private key”. Please take care to use as “your username to root” your username at ubuntu!
You should now be logged into your Nextcloud system where you can enter your “trusted domains” etc
The procedure is a bit intricate - but it worked for me.
Hopefully this helps - if not: keep on rocking

I have exactly the same problem as you. I am trying to create a system user via this tutorial: https://github.com/nextcloud/nextcloud-snap/wiki/How-to-connect-to-the-Nextcloud-Box-with-SSH#second-option-creating-a-core-system-user

So I need the Brand and the Model, in order to create this thingy on a USBstick to insert into the nextcloud. Can someone, for example @jospoortvliet please provide this?

That would be very helpful!

I sadly don’t know this! Can somebody who does perhaps in this thread share that info?

Hmm, too bad. If I were to start over, with the newest image of nextcloud, is there a piece of documentation that I can follow that is correct? All I want to achieve is to access the pi via ssh, so that I can put in my Let’s Encrypt certificate.

1 Like

This is starting to get really annoying :frowning:. As long as the brand and model IDs of the rpi3 are not provided, this tutorial seems to be useless:

so I guess the question is: who is in charge of creating those images for nexcloud box?