Nextcloud app development

Thx for the info. Not visible to “outsiders” though, we get “404”. :frowning:

A while back I started playing around with the Rasberry Pi and Owncloud on Nginx + SQLite.

Sweet., relays on cronjobs, motion sensors, bash and pythons scripts all over. It will make more sense to rather use a framework so it’s easier to maintain. But you know, my first framework I learned was Symfony 1.4… Currently I am using Lavavel 5 for many of my projects at work. I need an app to interface with my Pi and Kodi out of (own|next)cloud. I can code this!

Boy was I surprised. The documentation is very cryptic, examples are scares and unusable, what should have taken me about 2 weeks to code has now been dragged out to a few months. I really have lost interest in attempting it, not having the relevant info to my disposal or decent examples. I am attempting to setup a many-to-many table structure in my app and just thinking about the experience I have had to get to what I have build… nah, I’ll rather spend my free time with my girls than reading and trying to figure out stuff for 2-3 hours on end before even starting to code.

Do understand, I use owncloud, have 2 instances with Rasberry Pi’s monitoring and managing remote device and I am very exited to support nextcloud, but really, the apps, the ORM, the experience, it has been not a pleasant trip to date.

[quote=“meijer.wynand, post:22, topic:468”]
Boy was I surprised. The documentation is very cryptic, examples are scares and unusable, what should have taken me about 2 weeks to code has now been dragged out to a few months.[/quote]

I completely agree, although this has improved a lot, at least in terms of APIs and working examples. Anything prior to 9 and which involved files and sharing was a real pain.

For DB stuff, look at how News and Activity do it.

@meijer.wynand documentation has been neglected since 7 so there are a lot of outdated examples. The only thing which is a bit more up to date is the tutorial

I would propose a balanced approach that rests the power to judge app suitability in the user:

• The app store should be as open as possible, even for low-quality apps - otherwise you will be embroiled in hair-splitting over what is ‘proper’ documentation etc.

• The app installation UI should give relevant information, eg. as badges/checkboxes: Does the documentation - maybe separately for end-users and developers - confirm to a set standard? Is it unit-tested? Is it localised (and for where)? Maybe even metrics relating to the source and development process (how many active contributors, how long to react to bug reports…).

@silanea I think that’s what’s going to happen

The app store itself will only strictly validate the package structure and the info.xml which is almost entirely validated using an XML Schema.

There are some issues with XML Schemas especially with 1.0 which nearly everyone is stuck with and that is that you need to define your xml tags in a specific order. Other than that everything should be fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, we’ve fixed all of the xsd issues by bringing everything into the ordering to validate using xslt (hurray more xml!)

I can now even upload the news app :slight_smile:

3 Likes