Nextcloud Android Phone App Upload Path Problems

Hello,

Great product, I love it. But at the moment I need a little assistance.

When I try to upload photographs from my Android phone to the Nextcloud server they just end up in the what looks like the root directory and not in the directory I specified in the Nextcloud Android phone App Settings “upload path” = /photos. Any ideas as to how I can get the photographs to go into the correct directory location? I’m sure it must be something very simple, but it is just alluding me at the moment and I can not get it to work correctly. Very Frustrating!

Thanks

Hi @linuxnutt,

Do you mean manually uploaded photos or the instant upload feature?

-Andy

Cc @tobiasKaminsky

Andy,
Thanks for taking the time to reply to this request.

Manually uploading a whole directory ( love the feature that I can choose all photographs now) is my goal but I was just trying a few at a time to be sure they would get into the correct location. I’m ultimately wanting to upload the whole directory to get things backed up, but once backed up of course I would like to use the instant upload feature.

Steve
aka a linuxnutt

Hi Steve,

Did you navigate to your photo folder before choosing to upload pictures? The manual upload should by design always upload the files to the folder where you are currently in. So if you are in your root folder and choose to upload images or any other file they will be uploaded to that location. Not sure if this is what happens, so just asking :slight_smile:

Best regards
Andy

Andy,

Figured it out after your suggestion to navigate to the folder of choice on nextcloud server then use the the " + " plus upload icon, next go to my phones photo folder DCIM …, and finally Upload button.

Didn’t do this initially I obviously was in the root directory, and then choose to upload. Originally I thought “Upload path” in the settings directory was controlling the destination, but this is only the case for the instant uploads.

I appreciate your time in helping me see how to successfully navigate the interface. Actually pretty sensible once you know how to do it.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Glad to hear it is working for you now. Always a pleasure to help :slight_smile:

You’re very welcome!
Andy

@jan any idea if and how we could improve intuitiveness here. Not sure we can, so just asking :slight_smile: E.g. Name it instant upload path instead of just upload path (which can be misleading)

Hm … yeah it’s in the »Instant upload« section but I guess calling it »Instant upload folder« (not path! That word is too technical. ;)) is better for increased understanding.

1 Like

I have opened an issue: https://github.com/nextcloud/android/issues/160

1 Like