Nextcloud Android client 3.3.0 RC3 has arrived

Hi everybody,

we are happy to announce the first release candidate for the upcoming Android release. It has already been uploaded to the Play store and should show up in the next couple of hours. As for the f-droid RC release, we published the PR but the publishing by f-droid might take some time.

Features you will get with this release are:

• Support for restoring deleted files (Nc14+)
  • Media streaming (Nc14+)
  • New media detection for AutoUpload
  • Accessibility: improved TalkBack screenreader support
  • Show outdated server warning for server <Nc12
  • Add support for device credentials
  • Show offline / maintenance info
  • Improved activities
  • Improved file detail / sharing with comments
  • Improved Share link creation via bottom sheet
  • Improved Notification, supporting actions
  • Many bug fixes

Grab the app via google play store as a beta tester: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.nextcloud.client or later on Fdroid. !:robot:

Happy testing and if you find any issue please report back to us on https://github.com/nextcloud/android/issues to resolve these. :slight_smile:

We are also still lacking some translations, so if you have some time to spare, that would really help us bringing the client to the users in as many languages as possible :slight_smile: https://www.transifex.com/nextcloud/nextcloud/android/

RC2
Fixes two crashes: with the file menu and with streaming

RC3
Fixes App SSO, avatar fetching and crashes related to shares via talk

Thanks!!!

6 Likes

Hello,

where has the activity stream gone?

Regards

Hi @blu-IT, it should still be there in the exact same place, no changes done here. Are you having a problem here? It gets imho hidden pre-Nc13

@Andy:

Hi, I am sorry.

Don’t know what the issue. After a restart of the client I can see the activity-stream now.

Thanks!

Regards

@blu-IT, ah that is “normal” the client hides the menu item at the beginning and checks for the capabilities of the server, so activities then shows up at the second start. Sorry for the confusion!

Is there a way that you guys could update the photos gallery on Android in a new release to show pictures by date like other apps such as Google photos does. I can see the gallery already shows them chronologically but almost every other single photo app that I’ve seen can sort by day, month, and year. I already know that nextcloud has been able to read exif data so all it will take to implement this feature is a change on the Android app’s side. If this client is already too close to release, maybe you could put it in the next one. Thanks.

Noticed that after the installation you have to set again the Passcode at the Lock section.

please take me off the notifications list.

I don’t want to receive these emails anymore

1 Like

You can open the releases category. On the top right hand side (under you avatar), there should be a symbol how you would like to be notified. So you could put it to first post, if you want to be notified in general but without following the discussion. Or you disable it.

Not at this very moment since the server doesn’t offer an interface for the clients to do that. We can only ask/search for photos but can’t add sorting/search criteria so this can’t be implemented before the server supports this for client applications. The gallery can do that since it is running on the server, with kind of “direct access”.

So are you guys going to add support soon (maybe nextcloud 14.1)? A lot of us really have large photo collections and they become hard to keep track of without some date markers. I’m using exif and chron to sort them into folders by date on my UNRAID server (if anyone wants the script HMU. Note: it sorts all files so use it in a photos folder and sorts by filecreatedate instead of createdate because of some problems I had with unsupported files) but I understand that not everyone can script. I definitely considered turning away from nextcloud on that premise alone, since I mainly wanted it for photo backups. I understand you guys are working on big features like security, but could you please, please add this feature soon? Thanks.

Server-side might be something @rullzer can answer.

Since you already have everything sorted into folders, why not just navigate through them in the “normal” view and setting it to grid? It’s not exactly the same but quite close to it.

Well for me personally through the use of a sorting script I can do this, but for anybody else using nextcloud, especially if they don’t have that much experience scripting, it would be difficult.

are you guys planning to add/fix video preview? so that it doesn’t download and store it on the device.

What do you mean @hknd?

• 3.3 supports streaming
  • since v1.0.0 we support preview images for video (if the server has the capability to generate them for the clients).

Hi Andy,

I mean like, when i open a video it downloads, gives preview but it also stores that video in to my device. Is it possible that it downloads and just gives the preview and not stores it in to the device

Any chance that support for HTTP proxy will be added soon?

@hknd, streaming will not download the video but you can view it at that very moment (given you have a connection to the server of course)

@RobinL, not that I know of but you can restart such a discussion on the issue tracker where you can easily reach out to all developers of the app (not all of them are active on the forum).

Is there a way to copy the streaming url instead of just use open with? I only seem to get opera and quickpick for video files instead of VLC. Is this an issue with VLC or NC? Perhaps it’s using wrong mime type? Happens with both mkv and mp4 files.

Hi,

my NC13 on OMV shows same behaviour as hknd described. If i watch one of my self made and auto uploaded videos it downloads and permanently stores it on my device in to internerspeicher/android/media/com.nextcloud.client/nextcloud/…myIP…/pictures.
That takes too much space in my mobile.
So I was surprised by your answer, that this wouldnt happen.

Thanks a lot,
Chris