Nextcloud android app refresh

Hello I have the latest nextcloud android client 3.18.1. In my configuration I don’t use subfolders when I synchronize content from my mobile phone so all the wideos and movies land in the same subfolder. I have dozens of files there.

When I take 5 new photos wait a few minutes until I know that previews are done on the server side open Nextcloud android client go to InstantUpload and Camera folder it shows the wheel spinning for about a minute or two. During that time the pictures icons are without previews. After those minutes the preview is shown.

Such behaviour can be a stopper for many people using the app on telephones. The preview for new files should made as fast as possible in the background. Additionally previews for few latest files should be cashed by the application in the background so that when user enters the app, the previews where present and available for better user experience.

Best Regards
Krzysztof Banaszak

Can anyone from android devs check this because I think user experience is the most important thing in writing apps?

I upgraded my 24 version with brand new Nextcloud Hub 3 with Nextcloud version 3.23.0 on Android thinking that it would improve the mobile performance behaviour but it didn’t. For me it is the last thing that is missing is still proper refreshing of folders containing lots of images/videos.

My configuration of auto sending folders is to upload files from my mobile without using subfolders. I have 3 years of pictures and movies in my phone that are synchronized to my nextcloud instance. There are arround 10 thousend of files in that folder. It is faster then in 24 version but it is still annoying.

When I enter the folder I have to wait about 20 seconds to show me files and another 60 seconds for the wheel to stop spinning. This is too long. It should read first 20 files and read next 20 in the background. It also shows the message that nextcloud is not responding (close app, wait, send opinion)

The whole installation is on Truenas (FreeBSD) with ZFS configured with an SSD drive for L2ARC cache so it should work quickly and all other folder in which there are photos and videos behave correctly and quickly.

Can You please take a look at that code and do something?

Best Regards
Krzysztof Banaszak

I’ve got the same issue. Currently I can’t use the app to browse any photos or files. It just prompts with stop responding every few second.

What is wrong in the mobile Nextcloud App version is loading the whole directory with all files/images instead of taking a few to the buffer. Just as You wrote with big folders with lots of files it finally prompts with stop responding every few seconds.

I’d like to write small update. With 25.0.4 version of Nextcloud and 3.24.1 version of Android App it works a little faster, previews of videos are more stable (one can see progress bar of downloaded content) but the wheel is still spinning for 60 seconds and often I see the message that nextcloud is not responding (close app, wait, send opinion).

It is still annoying. Can anyone take a look at this!

Hello everyone.
Small update. With version 27.0.2 of Nextcloud and 3.25.0 version of Android App it is again a little bit better. I already have 14 thousands of files .jpeg and .mp4 files in one folder. The wheel is still spinning for 60 seconds until previews are loaded and less often but there is still message of not responding nextcloud app. If I click on a picture it is shown correctly. What must have been corrected is uploading and synchronising files. It now works good on Android the same as on PC. What must be corrected is the listing and preview mechanism. It should be a core nextcloud functionality not any add-on.

Any help with this functionality would be appreciated.