Nextcloud 25 - how to hide UI elements

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 25.0.0.0
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 20.04

Up to v25 I was using an own scss file with some ‘display: none’ entries, which was imported in the server.scss during our Docker image creation.
This stopped working with v25 (I guess due to the removal of the scss support).

What’s the recommended way now to hide some unwanted UI elements?

Hello and welcome to the community support forum :wave: !

Have you tried the Custom CSS app? It also allows you to apply your changes without modifying the actual code (which should make maintenance and updates easier).

Of course it doesn’t support scss, but you should be able to hide all elements you want with plain css.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, it really helped! Yes, I have just simple css to hide few elements.

If anyone is searching for this, I use this to store the css data programmatically:

CUSTOM_CSS=$(cat /usr/src/nextcloud/core/css/myown.scss)
# escape quotes!
CUSTOM_CSS=$(printf “%s” “$CUSTOM_CSS” | sed -e “s/"/\\"/g”)
php occ config:app:set theming_customcss customcss --value="$CUSTOM_CSS"

1 Like