Nextcloud 17 Beta 2 is out!

Originally published at: https://nextcloud.com/blog/nextcloud-17-beta-2-is-out/

After testing beta 1 many issues have been fixed and improvements were made. Today we put the second beta of Nextcloud 17 online!

For this beta we aim to continue testing stability and have apps in the appstore compatible with Nextcloud 17. We want to make sure that upgrades and day to day usage are smooth and as bug-free as possible. Any other feedback, of course, is welcome!

What’s new?

We are preparing a release announcement and you will be able to read what’s new on the release date – PROMISE! But if you want to know now, install the beta 2 and find out sooner 😉

If you are really curious for a detailed overview, there is a full list of what’s been changed in github – you will have to check all the apps we ship (like Activity) to have the complete picture. Sadly, the Github API doesn’t allow us to extract all of that in a simple list like we do for bugfix releases.

Nextcloud 17 beta 2 (zip)

As a beta, of course, the main aim of beta 2 is not to reveal the new features of Nextcloud 17, it’s a call for help to continue making Nextcloud awesome!

Weekend is coming! Time for testing and polishing

Nextcloud 17 needs testing, bug reporting, bug fixing and some polishing to be perfect. The best time to get involved is now!

We have our automated tests and it has gotten some basic smoke testing but no test scheme can replace the myriad of ways you all use Nextcloud, on NAS devices to big iron servers!

As details make the difference we can use your help for small UI improvements, fixes to details – and of course bugfixes!

If you are new to Nextcloud, you’re more than welcome to get involved – simply join us on github or check out this page on our website.

Note that translations are very welcome too! We have millions of users and they don’t all read English! Let’s make sure 17 is ready for as big a number of users as possible.

2 Likes

Some more details and links: Nextcloud 17 Beta 2 arrived! But still no news?

This also includes an appeal to the Nextcloud team to give some more information once a beta is available. This would make testers lives easier, allows more targeted testing, if we knew what to have a special eye on, and most likely lead to more overall testers as well.

They don’t think that way.

They prefer : Saying nothing, then people test the Nextcloud beta in their way they are used to. If they spot a bug (a regression) in the way they use Nextcloud, good point and a topic is created on GitHub.

I’m on you side @MichaIng i prefer knowing what’s new to focus my testing on it…

1 Like

In this case the assumption is that admins either update their production server to beta or setup their testing server exactly the same to be able to cover their compete use case for testing. Both IMO is unlikely (although I always update my little home “production” server since downtimes or tinkering is no problem for me). Of course one can only be sure that everything will work, when testing ones production case fully, but since this is in consequence not possible, IMO best that can be done is to target testing based on relevant changes and features that one uses.

Finally it is also my personal interest about what changed or which new features where added, without having to search through all commits/PRs on GitHub.

I guess there are a lot of changes made - not all new functions. I found out that calendar did not work in Android. I do not think this was intended as a new feature…

Calendar works well here. Which client do you use on Android?

Sorry. It was users list. You cannot slide it sideways.