Nextant NC 11 context

Just been playing with NC 11 and really impressed.

Nextant brilliant works great with Solr but havent tried encryption.

Only one thing and as a NC noob is that my previous experience has seen how useful full text search searches of contexts are.
Unless I am doing something wrong but when you traverse your NC folder path the full text search is always the complete root full index.
This is OK is you are searching for distinct terms/phrases but for common search phrases on large document collections it really negates full text search without context by the volume of returned results.
For users like me its really handy and useful to be able set a context for the full text search and this root is the current folder you are in.

I haven’t done any dev work for ages and only do sys admin stuff when requested nowadays. I am doing my usual freebie for a community/advocacy centre that is struggling with the weight of paper work welfare benefits advocacy causes.
I got them to purchase an overhead scanner (as a top tip and no sales pitch got one of these and its really good http://www.czur.com/index.php/en/Media/2015/11-16/64.html ) seriously that make mentioned as it is a relatively cheap one, but wow much better than a flatbed for document processing.
This is why NextCloud for a small scale NGO is just absolutely brilliant and I have knocked up a server and I am running in house because the main action will be storing documents whilst our relatively fast broadband is still asynchronous.

So just setting a picture I am not knocking Nextant or Nextcloud but feel it could be made even better.

So first of all I am unsure why Solr is updated by cron rather than a straight hook?
Could be both but why a document is added or updated on change seems to be an ommision.

If you look at http://yonik.com/solr-tutorial/ individual documents can be indexed relatively easily and we seem to be missing out on how schema fields & dynamic fields could make search and retrieval much easier.

So we are missing the current NextCloud path as a schema field as it would be able to just do recursive full text search from the current folder.

Also it would be great to have more metadata on the documents, the tag cloud is great and that also should be part of the document schema, but with the tags, activity, comments… apps it would be great to have a metadata app where predefined fields can have data entry if required.
One of those fields for me would be a linkage to the contact app so that contacts can be linked to documents and the context search gets even better.
It would be just really simple a tick box in the contact page to use this contact context and just enter the search text as normal.
All NextCloud entities could benefit and maybe some users may want to store documents against a even, calendar or task, but any entity could do the same and a meta-data app and solr could be the glue without much effect to core or work.

So this is a bit of a chicken and egg situation but if anyone fancies creating a meta-data app that allows you to a list of free text metadata fields and drop down boxes connected to app entities, then nextant could use these to create context.

For me it would be a thing of beauty :slight_smile: As I say I haven’t done any dev work for ages but I think I am going to have to have a look at creating a metadata app, or hope some bright dev out there needs a lacky to help with testing.

But nextant could start with the path and also updating documents on change as I am unsure why this is only the realm of various cron mechanism?

Really like what I am seeing, brilliant stuff guys and just opinion as wow, it would be jaw dropping great for my particular application, but actually think its appeal has a very wide scope.

For users like me its really handy and useful to be able set a context for the full text search and this root is the current folder you are in.

Yes, this is added already in nextant, but not available to the public :smiley:
It was supposed to work like that, but there is an issue with shared document, as Solr does not know the path of a shared file, but I could find a way to add an option while search to only display files in the current folder (and subfolder)

So first of all I am unsure why Solr is updated by cron rather than a straight hook?
Could be both but why a document is added or updated on change seems to be an ommision.

Older versions of nextant were indexing on the fly (main process) but when you start to move folders (or update sharing rights) all around your cloud, it started to lack fluidity and break the experience of the users. However, If you want instant indexing you can still run occ nextant:live in a screen
There is more on the wiki: https://github.com/nextcloud/nextant/wiki/Extracting,-Live-Update#live-index

Also it would be great to have more metadata on the documents, the tag cloud is great and that also should be part of the document schema, but with the tags, activity, comments… apps it would be great to have a metadata app where predefined fields can have data entry if required.

Nextant is made to work with some others apps, but only the Bookmarks apps is using it (more or less, as there is no live index of the content of your favorites webpage).
The tag should be added, true. as for the contact app, I have no idea what I should index from there, but if you can give me more details :slight_smile:

I will have a look at your source code but I am thinking it needs to be on the fly so that metadata and document can be sent to solr.
The path is just a metadata field with a right wildcard such as * or \documents*.

I need to look at Solr this weekend I am setting up NextCloud on site, but maybe mid week might have something to show you.
Depends on how long this old mind takes to absorb the current code and think I might be being optimistic, but I will try.
I will fork what you have done and if you like what you see, then just merge it back in.

Contacts, events, tags do not need to be indexed as they a schema fields that allow you to set a full text search context.

Cheers

Stuart