Next Cloud Pi completely lost?

On an external 2-tb hdd with usb 3.0 and external power supply. i also managed to get an exactly same to do this backup. Original NC hdd is formatted as btrfs and the backup disk is still in ntfs, i think.

I need to run tar first to make a zip-like file, and then i make a copy of the mysql database, right? I don´t run both commands in the same command?

Yes. You run both commands separately.

Try with -P flag.
tar -Pcf /media/myCloudDrive/nextcloud-bkp.tar /media/myCloudDrive/ncdata /var/www/nextcloud

1 Like

tar -Pcf /media/myCloudDrive/nextcloud-bkp.tar /media/myCloudDrive/ncdata /var/www/nextcloud

You are backing up to the same hdd. Check the mountpoint from my previous answer.

1 Like

sorry, my mistake.
I can hear the hdd´s spinning now. Exciting!

It is possible that you will run into permission issues. Can you change root password from here :

1 Like

Okay, thanks for the warning.

How do I know when tar is finished?

You will get the prompt back ($ sign).

You could also add the -v flag

tar -Pcvf /media/myCloudDrive/nextcloud-bkp.tar /media/myCloudDrive/ncdata /var/www/nextcloud

You can also start a second ssh and backup your database.

1 Like

I think it might be better to just start the backup again with -v flag so you can know thethe errors.

You can stop tar by pressing ctrl + c

so tar -v -pcvf [...]?

seems like tar is not one of the easy commands :wink:

tar -Pcvf

1 Like

Sorry , i somehow missed this answer.

No problem. Do you get permission errors ?

no, not so far. although i´m not backing up the database yet. data is backing up just fine.

You should know that your database contains your contacts, calendar, deck cards, todo lists, perhaps your cookbooks, etc

1 Like

I know I know. I’m just waiting for the tar to finish because I don’t want to stress the little pi 4 too much.

Oh ok. I thought you were not going to backup database at all.

Anyway if it does not work for some reason then you can also start ubuntu from live usb / in virtualbox, connect your drive and sdcard then use the file explorer to copy your database and data folder.

mysqldump: Error 1034: Index for table 'oc_activity' is corrupt; try to repair it when dumping table 'oc_activity' at row: 11914

mmmhhh…

guess i´ll make a ubuntu usb stick tomorrow.

hey guys, an update.

I tried to make a backup, but it never seemed to finish, I never saw the prompt ($) again. I also tried to make a backup of the database. I tried several times, but I don´t know if it completely copied all files. the tar file on my backup is only about one third in size.

I guess due to all the reboots somehow my sd-card, where the pi is booting from, became corrupted. I can see that there is a device on Ethernet port 1 on my router, but I can not get a ping, see an ip adress, connect to the know ip adress and i don´t get a signal on the hdmi ports when i connect a monitor.

I will try to get a ubunutu boot stick ready and see ich i can copy my files from there and then do a complete wipe and reinstall from nextcloud pi.

Thanks for your knowledge and help!!