News app discussion

@klslowik take a look at the README?

What I write is not a solution :slight_smile:
It-s workaround :slight_smile:

Unfortunately with readme nothing helped me.

I installed NextCloud under Ubuntu 16.04 and news app.
Now it is working.

I see, I thought you migrated from Debian to Ubuntu and now updates dont work. Iā€™m running it on Debian just fine btw, so I donā€™t really think this is a work around :smiley:

One thing that would be cool is if there was an option to auto-clean old news items ā€“ e.g. remove all items that are older than 1 year, unless they are starred.

Thatā€™s already implemented

1 Like

So it is ā€“ and even enabled by default! Great stuff! Thanks :smiley:

I take it the settings are for number of items per feed, right?

Maximum number of articles ever served by the feed + configurable amount (see settings)

Canā€™t specify why or file a bug but after each ubuntu update/upgrade the news app wonā€™t update anymore. Cron job is active and running but no items new items appear in my feeds though new one are visible on feedsā€™ websites.

Did you check the FAQ?

Hi Bernhard,

if you mean the one on github (https://github.com/nextcloud/news) below ā€œFeeds are not updatedā€, yes! Or is there another FAQ I am missing?

Nope thatā€™s it :slight_smile:

Well iā€™ve done all steps in that FAQ and it didnā€™t work. After a while I saw new feeds were loaded again without doing anything. As written before, I canā€™t really explain nor write a qualified bug report.

Then very likely I canā€™t fix it either :slight_smile:

If itā€™s important for you pin down the problem until you know what is the cause of this issue. I only know of the documented issues and if there are no further error messages in the log then I canā€™t really help you.

Great app Bernard! Have you ever thought about a possibility to share specific feed items internally (within the NC system) or externally by creating an externally accessible RSS file?

In general that feature was out of scope so I requested people to implement that as a separate app. You donā€™t want to add more features than absolutely needed because it makes it harder to restructure things

I stopped maintaining it btw

Allright. Do you know if somebody is (planing to) developing a app like that?

Nope, none that I know of.

Thank you for all the work you did on News. It is getting increasingly frustrating to find a good RSS manager/reader. Yet, this is easily the best for my uses. Itā€™s a shame that it is now unmaintained. Is there any plan to keep News going? Or am I just stuck on Nextcloud 12 forever? :slight_smile:

I would totally kick a few bucks a month on Patreon (or similar) if it would do any good.

Is there any plan to keep News going?

No :slight_smile:

Or am I just stuck on Nextcloud 12 forever?

Well, it runs on 13, but https://github.com/nextcloud/news/issues/271 and picoFeed not maintained Ā· Issue #258 Ā· nextcloud/news Ā· GitHub

I would totally kick a few bucks a month on Patreon (or similar) if it would do any good.

Thatā€™s nice but my issue isnā€™t money, itā€™s time and motivation. Iā€™ve got 2 small kids, a full time (Java) job and also maintain the app store. Working with PHP and migrating to the latest JS framework du jour isnā€™t really what I like to do in my spare free time.

Since I canā€™t learn anything besides Java at my current job I need to keep up to date in my free time. Iā€™m currently learning Rust whenever I have time to and also plan to get my hands on Haskell, PureScript, Idris and Kotlin.

This basically leaves no time for anything else and PHP on top is very annoying to work with (development server segfaults since 5.6, all the small issues that add up, horrible standard lib and platform)

App ā€œNewsā€ cannot be installed because the following dependencies are not fulfilled:
Library libxml with a version higher than 2.7.8 is required - available version 2.7.6.0.

I receive this error when installing the app, through Nextcloud 13, while using a CentOS server through Vultr. Any ideas what might be the issue? I am very new to all of this, so please be nice if this is a stupid question.

Thank you. =^_^=