Newbie to Nextcloud & general Talk question

Hello there,

I‘m new to Nextcloud and just set up a simple environment with Talk. Server is version 25.0.6, OS is Linux 5.15.0-71-generic x86_64, App is version 16.0.2.

When I‘m inside the app and call a user it doesn‘t ring on the other side. I have to wait until the user initiates a call manually. When we are both inside the call I only see a questionmark instead of the initials. The user can see my initials though.

When I‘m outside the app and the user calls me my phone rings and we are both in the call at once. Does it only ring when outside the app?

Another user complains that he cannot see the other user. Only audio is working, the background keeps being grey even though he enabled video and can see himself. Happens only to that specific user. I can‘t find anything specific on the serverside so I assume it must be his app or phone… or does anyone have an idea?

Thanks for your help!

Check your logs in case there are any hints there. Also see the Talk github repos for the app and mobile apps and Talk user documentation.

Hi @Gwaihir,
You are missing the required support template. Please fill this form out and edit into your post.

This will give us the technical info and logs needed to help you! Thanks.

You cannot use the F-Droid version of Nextcloud Talk if you want to receive push notifications. You must use the Google Play Store version, which kinda defeats the purpose of using Nextcloud to DeGoogle your phone.

The Talk developers have said they will not be adding alternate push notifications to Talk, such as the Nextcloud UnifiedPush app, which can be used in conjunction with NextPush, so if you want to receive push notifications you will either have to write that code yourself, or download and use the Google Play Store version, via Aurora Store.

There is an F-Droid app called Nextcloud Services that will connect to your Nextcloud every 10 seconds (by default) and check for notifcations, and then open Talk on your phone if you get one.

1 Like