Newb Q: Downsides of MySQL

So I’m really new to all of this. I’m currently using my installation of a NextCloud server to help me to get more comfortable with Linux and using the command line.

Right now I’m trying to figure out if I should base my installation of NextCloud on SQLite or MySQL.

After doing some research, it looks like MySQL is generally seen as the better option, especially for sites with heavy traffic. While I don’t need this right now, I don’t see why I wouldn’t want a more scalable option.

That said, all of the tutorials I’ve been looking at use SQLite, even though some of them go on to recommend MYSQL later in the tutorial. I’m concerned there is a reason for these documents not simply recommending a MySQL install off the bat.

I guess my question is this: what are the down sides of using MySQL?

Is it particularly difficult to install, upgrade or maintain? Will there be a lack of documentation written for people like me available to help me keep it maintained? Special hardware requirements, or something else I haven’t thought of?

Thanks for any direction guys.

Don’t use SQLite if you don’t have to. Even on small setups or as a single user with several clients accessing at the same time you can get problems.

No there are plenty of howtos. Hardware requirements are also very low, you can run it on a raspberry pi.

Great. Thanks so much.

Jep, all good guides I know just offer/recommend MySQL, better MariaDB (fork of MySQL from the ‘old’ MySQL developers, after it was sold to oracle). API is the same, all guides/howtos about MySQL also work for MariaDB.

Yes you need an additional installation step, creating user and database for Nextcloud. But it’s easy and worth it.