New VM install - two issues

Hi,

I am using Esxi for my VM server and downloaded the preconfigured image from https://www.techandme.se/nextcloud-vm/

Specs:

· Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS 64-bit

· Apache 2.4

· PostgreSQL 10.3

· PHP 7.2

· Linux Kernel: 4.1

The Esxi web console to access VM’s has a bug where it periodically adds in extra letters in keystrokes. So when I am performing the initial installation I ‘might’ be adding extra keys during the forced password change. I can log in via the web browser but sudo within the shell has my password incorrect (same password for ubuntu and nextcloud).

1. Is there a way for me to SSH into the VM prior to the install so I can ensure I am typing passwords correctly?

Second question

I started my journey yesterday with Owncloud (sorry). I have it setup and was playing. I have a SMB share from my freenas box added to Owncloud & it works fine.

I read some more & see that the community / support / experience is better with Nextcloud & am giving that a try. I keep trying to add a SMB share to Nextcloud and I keep getting a red box (indicating failure).

External mount error

There was an error with message: Empty response from the server. Do you want to review mount point config in admin settings page?

When I put Owncloud & Nextcloud side by side for the adding external storage – the settings are identical but it fails.

1. Any idea why / how the SMB share would be failing in Nextcloud but work in Owncloud?

I am using a separate share which when tested in windows works fine with the nextcloud credentials.

Thanks,

RIch

• Q1: yes, open multiple root ssh. at least, you wont loose root connection. you can also try to “echo” your change to a log file. Quiet annoying, but this might help.
  • Q2: missing php dependency mayby, like php-smbclient ( guessing ) as i dont use smb share on my nextcloud…