New to Nextcloud

Hello / Bonjour @UnePierre . Thank you for the great insight. Funny that you should mention TrueNas as I have been running it on another Lenovo TS140 that I have sitting in our garage. I recently discovered that NC was one of the available plugins.

TrueNasCore

I suppose I could go that route but as I may have mentioned in an earlier post that I do have a second ThinkServer and disks just taking up closet space and why not use them with NC. I am retired and welcome the challenge. This is going to be storage that my children (empty nesters here) can use to store docs, pics, etc. And I am very familiar with how important backups are and I thank you for bringing that up. Have yourself a safe and wonderful day! Peter

Hello @DavidMndz I surely am enjoying NC so far. Especially the learning aspect. I did use OwnCloud years ago. I can’t really say when exactly because it has been that long!

I have been in IT for decades (Windows client/server). Over the years there have been many occasions where I have dabbled with different flavors of Linux. Recreational / educational you might say. Mostly curious I suppose.

So I am back. Like anitch that I just can’t scratch. At this point in my learning journey all bets are off at the moment. I can’t tell you how many times I have installed / reinstalled NC. That is the beauty of my situation. This is not mission critical until the server goes live and I actually provide access to it. Which is another topic for another day!

I started off with two seperate disks until someone suggest I do otherwise (RAID1). I’ll take any advice I can get at this point. As far as the disks are concerned they came out of a QNAP TS269-Pro that I had running at a clients for a few years. They are the 2 Terabyte Gold model. And yes, I know that they already have some mileage on them so backing up the data is going to be imperative.

In a nutshell what I am trying to achieve is rather simple (in my mind anyway. I want to do with the NC server what I have been doing with the other popular online storage offerings. Eg. Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.

Except allow myself more control and disk space. The main goal I suppose is to centralise all of the data that I have spread across all of these online services. I suddenly find myself scouring the array of online storage spaces that I have been using for my personal data. Oh and before I forget here is a screenshot of my lsblk results. Please forgive me for the long-winded response. Your input and guidance is greatly appreciated. Peter.

lsblk

Thank you @KarlF12 I have been watching a lot of instructional videos (thank you YT) and watched as some folks used the “gparted GUI” to prepare their disks. This when using an Ubuntu desktop environment. Is there something similar that I could install in my Ubuntu 20.04 server environment that you allow me to do the same.