[Discussion] New Photo App in Nextcloud 18

Good so put a thumbs Up on this one.
I will do the same.
EDIT : you already did, nice.

1 Like

Yes I did.

Moreover I notice thate filerun has this:

Metadata support
It automatically extracts and index information (Author, Copyright, Date Created, Description, GPS location, Heigh and Width, Tags/Keywords) from JPG, PSD, PSB, DNG, FFF, TIFF files.

It reads Exif, XMP and IPTC and knows exactly which to use.

Automatic import for RAW files from XMP sidecar files is also supported.

Add custom metadata fields for any additional information you would like to attach to the pictures. This information can either be automatically extracted from the files, or manually typed by you.

Letā€™s hope that nextcloud add it soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Weā€™re still waiting for this in the snap world, any update?

@kyrofa please read the thread. Moved to 18.0.4

-------- Message dā€™origine --------
On 8 avr. 2020 Ć  05:59, Kyle Fazzari via Nextcloud community < noreply@nextcloud.com > a Ć©crit :

Perhaps what I should have asked was: is this still on track for 18.0.4? Given the PRs Iā€™ve found I think it is, but I was hoping for a confirmation.

Yes, itā€™s merged and waiting for release :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great. It works fine. Thanks

Will it also be fixed that for large folders the photos app makes firefox report a site slowing down the browser and asks whether to wait or stop it? Or would that be an yet unknown issue with 18.0.3?

See https://github.com/nextcloud/photos/issues for known issues.

That thread on Github is closed meanwhile but still no fix for Nextcloud 18.0.4?

Or did i miss a setting for the photos app @jospoortvliet?

If you share an individual image, you see a preview, click it and it gets downloaded and you see it in your browser. There is little point in using the viewer hereā€¦

If you share a folder, the viewer is used to cycle through the images. You have to download them individually by clicking the 3 dots and choosing download. There is no download button in the viewer. That would be a good addition at some point but simply is not done yet.

More funny is that because of this issue, pictures are downloaded in original size already:

1 Like

I moved from Open Media Vault to NCP and tweaked the GALLERY to where it worked best for me with all my many images. It was great! Now that GALLERY has been replaced I am sorely disappointed. Performance is very poor, using 18.0.4, especially in ALBUMS. I canā€™t even use ALBUMS. I wonder why if something works - why change it.? Wish I had a way to extend SLIDESHOW times as I was able to do before.
I might have to plan on imaging NCP 17 from one of my many single board computers and replace NCP 18.

2 Likes

Yea, it was a poor choice to remove the old Gallery app before new implementation was finished.

One other thing is that three preview files are genereated, but only one preview is actually used

in preview folder I get these files: 1862-1200-max.jpg 256-165.jpg 256-256-crop.jpg
But looking in dev-tools only the 256-256-crop.jpg is loaded using the src https://domain.com/core/preview?fileId=2039859&x=256&y=256&a=false&v=xxxxxxxxx. When opening the preview full screen it actually loads the original jpeg, not the preview-max file.

Iā€™ve been used to the preview-generator app, but now the previews seems a little different. What sizes should be used now, if I were to use the preview-generator?

Does only work if Photo Sphere Viewer 1.0.8 is disabled. Otherwise photos were still downloaded. (NC 18.0.4 with official Fotos App).

Then a bug report here would be appropriate (it seems like the app would need a bit of dev activity anyway):

Iā€™m also so disappointed in the upgraded NC18 not supporting the old ā€œ/index.php/apps/gallery/s/tgdF3ixā€¦ā€ and redirecting to NC Login! This is very bad if you shared a lot of those links publicly.

The only unsatisfying way is to resend/edit all those links to ā€œ/index.php/s/CiByā€¦ā€ folder views if that is even possible (it is virtually impossible to remember all links send by messerngers or email) :frowning:

Downgrading to NC17 or doing a Gallery App hack seems not worth doing it. I really hope this will be available again in upgrades soon as I really have low understanding if functionality in main Apps (even if not true core) are dropped without BIG! warning before upgrade is proposed. This is not good for my feeling for NC as a real and fine replacement of the Big Corp. Clouds. :frowning:

3 Likes

Something like a transitional period and prior announcements seems to be necessary to fix such problems.

1 Like

Now you know why i have switched to Synology DS220j with Photo Station and DS photo for Android.