[Discussion] New Photo App in Nextcloud 18

Iā€™m afraid I donā€™t know how to work the new ā€œFotosā€ app at all. Iā€™ve just upgraded to v18.0.3 (which was noted to contain the ā€œbugfixedā€ version of Fotos) but still nothing is where it should be:

• When I click an image, the viewer opens. From there, how do I download the image? (The old ā€œdownloadā€ icon top right is missing.)

• Same view, how do I delete the file? (ā€œDeleteā€ icon is also missing.)

• The viewer doesnā€™t use the full screen, but only in a small portion of the of it. Is this a true 1:1 display, meaning a lower-res image on a higher-res screen will open in a smaller window?

• When first opening ā€œFotosā€, the only thing I need to see there is the root folder of my file system. ā€œGalleryā€ did that. In ā€œFotosā€, I first have to click ā€œMy Albumsā€. Not that big of a deal for sure, but why is the ā€œcomplicated album wayā€ the default, instead of the ā€œsimple folder viewā€?

On the other hand, I do note quite a bit of performance gain: The first display of a folder is about as slow as before, but beginning with the second access display is much quicker. Appreciated!

Regards

18.0.4, See photos repository.

NC 18.0.1

Performance is really bad here. Even worse, when I click ā€œYour albumsā€, I get an error stating ā€œEs ist ein Fehler aufgetreten!ā€ -> aside from accessing all pictures without folder structure ā€œyour photosā€, there is nothing anymore that allows a structured browsing of my photos. The performance of gallery app was not bad and I have 45GB of photos.

Next, the old gallery app allowed me to share in now called ā€œgrid modeā€. This means if I sent a link to people that do not know Nextcloud, yes such people still exist, I can predefine the view they get. This grid share link is missing now with Photos.

The photo thumbnails have been better in gallery view. How can I install the gallery app for NC 18?

Edit: if people click photos I have shared by link the download is offered, with gallery app these photos were opened as preview. Dont likeā€¦

Edit: there is no path browser in photos folder structure view, only up and down by clicking folders and back button. This does really not feel sophisticated.

These are all issues that have already been reported and will be fixed with 18.0.4. Iā€™m really looking forward to it because the sharing of image galleries is really a important feature for me.

1 Like

Letā€™s wait till 23-04 then.

I also miss an important feature in photo: ability to ā€œseeā€ people tags from lightroom/digikam. It will be a killing feature.

1 Like

Propose it on github if anybody did it before. :+1:

It is already been proposed.

1 Like

Good so put a thumbs Up on this one.
I will do the same.
EDIT : you already did, nice.

1 Like

Yes I did.

Moreover I notice thate filerun has this:

Metadata support
It automatically extracts and index information (Author, Copyright, Date Created, Description, GPS location, Heigh and Width, Tags/Keywords) from JPG, PSD, PSB, DNG, FFF, TIFF files.

It reads Exif, XMP and IPTC and knows exactly which to use.

Automatic import for RAW files from XMP sidecar files is also supported.

Add custom metadata fields for any additional information you would like to attach to the pictures. This information can either be automatically extracted from the files, or manually typed by you.

Letā€™s hope that nextcloud add it soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Weā€™re still waiting for this in the snap world, any update?

@kyrofa please read the thread. Moved to 18.0.4

-------- Message dā€™origine --------
On 8 avr. 2020 Ć  05:59, Kyle Fazzari via Nextcloud community < noreply@nextcloud.com > a Ć©crit :

Perhaps what I should have asked was: is this still on track for 18.0.4? Given the PRs Iā€™ve found I think it is, but I was hoping for a confirmation.

Yes, itā€™s merged and waiting for release :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great. It works fine. Thanks

Will it also be fixed that for large folders the photos app makes firefox report a site slowing down the browser and asks whether to wait or stop it? Or would that be an yet unknown issue with 18.0.3?

See https://github.com/nextcloud/photos/issues for known issues.

That thread on Github is closed meanwhile but still no fix for Nextcloud 18.0.4?

Or did i miss a setting for the photos app @jospoortvliet?

If you share an individual image, you see a preview, click it and it gets downloaded and you see it in your browser. There is little point in using the viewer hereā€¦

If you share a folder, the viewer is used to cycle through the images. You have to download them individually by clicking the 3 dots and choosing download. There is no download button in the viewer. That would be a good addition at some point but simply is not done yet.

More funny is that because of this issue, pictures are downloaded in original size already:

1 Like

I moved from Open Media Vault to NCP and tweaked the GALLERY to where it worked best for me with all my many images. It was great! Now that GALLERY has been replaced I am sorely disappointed. Performance is very poor, using 18.0.4, especially in ALBUMS. I canā€™t even use ALBUMS. I wonder why if something works - why change it.? Wish I had a way to extend SLIDESHOW times as I was able to do before.
I might have to plan on imaging NCP 17 from one of my many single board computers and replace NCP 18.

2 Likes