[Discussion] New Photo App in Nextcloud 18

I just tested this “hack” in nextcloud 19, it doesnt work. It seems it does not get the correct url for the webdav to show the previews.
Do i need to do anything after fetching the updated purify script ? maybe rebuild js or something similar ?

Tonny. I just tried it in NC19 and it worked for me. I’m running NC19.0.1 in a LinuxServer Docker container.

I am not sure what to say, but it simply doesn’t work with the following factors/parameters

nextcloud 18.0.4
external storage: s3
thousands of files
browsing “your albums”

Everything is slow, clicking on a photo only after many seconds tries to open the black “large” canvas on which you’d expect the photo, but the webserver is so overwhelmed that the Kubernetes liveness and readiness probes kick in.

This thing really needs to temper it’s server resource usage

just increased NC max-version in the quickfix

-> NC 19.0.1 with old gallery app :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree. I haven’t used the app much, but it is anyway practically not usable. I have e.g. tried to figure out how to add new albums and had no success. I just sit there and see the photos and can’t share them with others, because they are all there in one album/folder.
Right click doesn’t help, I get only the browser’s context menu. There is no circled “+” anywhere, and no menu indicator. It’s claimed to be a fantastic tool, I’m yet to figure out how this becomes usable.

1 Like

So updated howto:
/apps/gallery/js/vendor/dompurify/src/purify.js
has to be replaced by
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cure53/DOMPurify/1.0.11/dist/purify.js

And
/var/www/nextcloud/apps/gallery/appinfo/info.xml
bump that max-version to 666 or something suitable
and then
sudo -u www-data php /var/www/nextcloud/occ app:enable gallery

1 Like

Seeing as the gallery app is no longer maintained… who is handling security issues for it?

Might be a good idea to stick with the photos app for that reason alone.

1 Like

This might be done via - photos tagged with a keyword (album name) might be grouped together.

Thank You. I will try that.
EDIT: ok i added tag to few photos, but i can’t find way to share that. How can i do that?
Also, is there any way to add many photos by selecting them for example? I also didn’t find it possible.

Hi Georg-Git, where would the Nextcloud root directory be in an Snap installation on Ubuntu 18.04?

Hi again.

Think I found the folder, but it is read only: > sudo touch /snap/nextcloud/current/htdocs/installphotosapp.php touch: cannot touch '/snap/nextcloud/current/htdocs/installphotosapp.php': Read-only file system

Solved.
Here is how I did: About what I found

I deleted a lot of photos via the files app, they are still displayed in the Photosapp, what should I do?

there’s no need for “fancy” shell commands, you could have the quickfix installed as a regular app :wink:
though max version is 20 atm

given the pics indeed are deleted try this one via OCC shell
occ files:scan --user

Now I finally updated my server from 17.0.10 to 19.0.4 (with an interim step at 18.0.10 - which failed with DB exceptions, but that’s another story).

I tried to get used to the new photo app - but I can’t :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
It’s slow, it misses functionality, it’s inappropriate - to make it short: I still don’t like it.

Even the last incarnations of the gallery app are missing functionality which had been there in earlier versions.
I absolutely miss the integration in the files app - in early versions (when it was “gallery+”) I was able to directly open it in a certain directory - the gallery buttons replaced (or were added) to the right top at each files directory (where the “grid view” button is nowadays).
But even without that functionality, the gallery app is still way better than the photo app!

–> so I deactivated the photo app and readded the old gallery app - I hope it’ll still work in future NC versions!

BTW, when I executed “occ files:scan --all” I also got some exceptions…
…it seems the whole nextcloud code nowadays has lesser quality than earlier versions!

…it seems the whole postings here nowadays have lesser information than earlier postings :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:rofl: ymmd :crazy_face:

1 Like

Closing. We’ve been pretty much chatting about everything on this topic and it doesn’t add anything more

Reminders:

Thank you all!

1 Like