New Client 3.2.1 only for Windows 10?

Hello,
the desktop client 3.1.3 ist running on Server 2019, but 3.2.1 can not be installed on Windows 2019 Server!
Why?

There is a dedicated topic on the bugtracker for Windows Server OS:

i have an identical problem but with windows 8.1 32 bits. Why doesn’t it install? Moreover, it enters an eternal loop. He tells me there is a new version but then refuses to install it until I reply “to skip this version”. However I do not understand why to exclude Windows lower than Windows 10. Especially if 32 bit.

Because it is ancient?
Win8 is not supported by Microsoft for 3.5 years and 32-bit even Win10 is not offered anymore…
Nextcloud the company has enough problems with current supported platforms.
It’s one of their good decisions to abandon the dinosaurs…

For Win8.1 (32/64) Microsoft’s extended support will end on January 10, 2023.

I don’t understand why release the 32-bit version for Windows 10 then. Contrary to what you tell me it is published in [Releases · nextcloud/desktop · GitHub] (Releases · nextcloud/desktop · GitHub)

It was the software that informed me that there was a new version. But then it doesn’t install by going into an eternal loop.

I confess that I expected a less archaic answer (dinosaurs?)

In fact I will say more. Often the success of certain software is precisely the fact that for a long time they support platforms that are still very widespread, as well as dated.

But I would like to understand if there is a technical reason.

Not for free.

Me neither. Should be dumped…

Life is nothing but a chain of disappointments…

Often? No… Sometimes? Maybe…

Thank you Henry for the pseudo-philosophical digressions. Now I hope someone a little more knowledgeable and competent will answer me. Thank you.

Right now the operating system Windows 8.1 is in what is known as extended support. Extended support offers security updates and bug fixes (free, free free)

1 Like

Hi, please read this issue and comment Required CLDAPI.DLL at Windows 8.1 · Issue #3202 · nextcloud/desktop · GitHub

Hi, I am really disappointed that only Windows 10 is supported! Think that millions of users are out there not using Windows 10!? Nice to have a cloud like NC - bad to have no client anymore! Think that most of software supports still Windows 7 / 8.

Anybody has the latest version working or knows where to download?

Thanks a lot

Walhalla

There is hardly any reason to support an application on an OS abandoned by its creator.
Even if only for one reason: you have to patch not only the app but the underlying OS as well…

You want a longer time horizon - get a contract.
Applies to both the OS and apps running on it…

The “free” support for Windows 10 ends in 4 years

And around that time I expect Nextcloud to dump (free) support for it as well…

The client was neglected a bit…

Yes, but normal customers don’t have extended support and if you ask Nextcloud for support and put enough money, they’ll do that as well.

What I’d expect is that they keep it compatible as long as it is possible and once for some features it isn’t possible any more, they freeze a version for it (and don’t force failing upgrades). Then it depends on their paying customers and the community if there are more fixes.

There are systems with hardware that can’t be easily updated, or you have some embedded Windows.

And now they just said that they try to support Win 8 during the extended support: