Moving from armhf (32bit) to arm64 (Pi 4)

Without nc-restore, You would miss users, so unless you have only 1 or two users, and recreate them manually.
Nc-restore will do that for you, when restoring the database, after which it will run nc-scan also.
The database will be rebuild/checked by nc-scan.

A (Linux) mointpoint is usually created at /media or /mnt, as in my example above
It is where external drives are connected to the system.

After my first successful restoring of a backup I have learned a lot and edited this wiki as well. Iā€™m now 90% sure that this should work as it is now.

If you have a Pi 4 with the armhf (32bit) image consider testing this ā€œhow-toā€ and give feedback. The worst that can happen is that you need to restore the full backup.

1 Like

Well, I had some time to try my tutorial.
(I did it in my own test envirement, ethernet directly to my Mac, so I donā€™t have internet and also can not use the web pannel for some reasonā€¦)

Anyway, I succeeded, and changed the 32bit image on the SD card with the arm64 image, restored settings, users and apps with nc-import-ncp & nc-restore (dataless backup).

As mentioned by @OliverV nc-scan is done automatically, so no need for that. I also did not do a nc-fix-permissions, but it canā€™t hurt if you do.

I have not tested for more than a few minutes, but all seems to work fine.

As an argument to use this method, restoring a full backup of 420 GB took about 10h. Following this tutorial with the same setup, took roughly 30min (19min of it to do the nc-scan).

Only there is one strange error when it was finished.

Does someone know that this is and if I need to do something?

Has anyone tried this with server side encryption enabled?

I did it step by step like this and everything worked wonderfully. Thanks for that!

I am using a RP4 with 8GB RAM, runs flawlessly.

Now finally Collabora Online works for editing Office documents in the cloud.

I am very grateful to you for this!
MERCI! :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback, very encouraging to know that this has been useful to others.

First of all, thank you for your tutorial
after restoring my ncp-config_XXXXXXXX.tar
I have no access to my nextcloudpi (https://192.168.1.***:4443/) page or ssh access

Can you help me to find the solution please

Note: I have followed all the steps in the tutorial

Ć©dit___________________________
I have access to the nextcloud page (https://192.168.1.***/index.php/apps/dashboard/#/), with the ncp account

I did the update from ssh
here is the result

Running nc-import-ncp
Running nc-automount
automount enabled
Running SSH
New password: Retype new password: No password has been supplied.
New password: Password change has been aborted.
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
passwd: password unchanged
file  not found
Running unattended-upgrades
Unattended upgrades active: yes (autoreboot true)
Running nc-webui
Site ncp disabled.
To activate the new configuration, you need to run:
  systemctl reload apache2
ncp-web disabled
Running nc-previews-auto
Automatic preview generation enabled
Running nc-httpsonly
Forcing HTTPS On
Running nc-notify-updates
update web notifications enabled
Running nc-backup-auto
automatic backups enabled

configuration restored

Sorry for not reacting, Iā€™m back online after a long time.

so, you still donā€™t have access to the ncp web panel?

can you make sure that the web panel is enabled in the ncp-config settings (command line)sudo ncp-config
itā€™s somewhere in the settings, not sure where exactly.

Iā€™ll look at it the next time I try to do the migration.
Now I canā€™t

Thanks

On my current nextcloudpi which I have not updated, I have access to sudo ncp-config from the terminal with no problems and web panel is enabled

Sorry I did not read well your first post and did not realise that you also donā€™t have access to ssh.

what about if you donā€™t restore the config, but only the backup, is it still not working?

Honestly speaking Iā€™m probably as helpless as you are.

Iā€™ll try again in a while, then Iā€™ll give you news again here

Iā€™m running nextcloud docker. How does this guide transpose if I want to move from a 32bits host to a 64bits host?

sorry for the very long time to respond. I never had to do that, so I cant give you a solid answer. So do your own research before doing this.

I donā€™t know your setup, but if you have al NC data on a separate disk, not the OS disk, you can probably just flash the 64bit OS of your choice to the host,
setup docker,
install NCP in a Docker container and mounting the NC data volume from your separate data disk.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for this guide! This helped me much.

I have two remarks:

1. I had to start the wizard via https://nextcloudpi.local:4443/wizard, it didnā€™t start automatically.

2. Restoring the NCP configurations via nc-import-ncp broke the whole installation two times (maybe my ncp-config_XXXXXXXX.tar was corrupted), so the third time I just used the wizard and the menus in the web interface (admin panel) (https://nextcloudpi.local:4443) and made the modifications I needed. Took me less than twenty minutes.