[NCP] Cannot list users 'An error occured during the request. Unable to proceed.'

Hi, I have a problem with Nextcloud, but first here is how to reproduce / what I did:

I did a fresh install of Raspbian Lite on a Raspberry Pi 2.
After that, I did updates and installed NextCloudPi on it with this command:

curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nextcloud/nextcloudpi/master/install.sh | bash

(I also changed the temporary directory path in the config.php, since there seems to be a bug in NextcloudPi installer, which puts crap in there, but thats another story.)

Now I have Nextcloud 14.0.4.2 running. I finished the setup and was able to login.

Ok, now the problem:
Most things seem to work, but when I’m logged in as admin, to manage users does not work. When I open the user settings, I get this:

No users show up. Notice the error message on the top.
The weird thing is: I can create users. As you can see, I have 2 users (I created one and the admin). But the users are not displayed. It says “No users in here”, but there are 2.

To list users with occ/ncc command also doesn’t work:

Here is my logfile:

Same problem here. I was able to add some users, but now the users cannot be shown anywhere.

Are you using NCP too or another flavor of Nextcloud?

I’m using NCP too.

It’s a fresh installation. What can I do to get it work?

Found the solution here: Nextcloud 14 Upgrade - Users database not working properly (last post)

2 Likes

has everybody here used the curl installer? or is anybody seeing this with the SD card image?

Fresh install with raspian sd card image and then I used the curl installer to install ncp.

@OliverV have you ever seen this in a curl installation?

If it’s truly an untouched Raspbian it should not be any different from the regular SD card images

@nachoparker I have never seen this before, but can confirm the issue on a fresh install.
Ran the curl installer this morning on Rpi3 with fresh Raspbian light and get the same result. A used curl installer yesterday too, on a i7 fresh Debian9 minimal tools, turns out this has same misbehavior, for which I include ncp-report.
Error message at top of NC Admin page, I can create users, but they dont get listed initially or when you click everyone. They do receive email when their account has been created. They also get listed when you click on the group they have been assigned to. Without group assigned, they vanish and can not be listed. I assigned a group to the vanished user in the database and becomes list-able in that group.

NC Log message starts with :

Doctrine\DBAL\Exception\DriverException: An exception occurred while executing ‘SELECT uid, displayname FROM oc_users u LEFT JOIN oc_preferences p ON (userid = uid) AND (appid = ‘settings’) AND (configkey = ‘email’) WHERE (uid COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci LIKE ?) OR (displayname COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci LIKE ?) OR (configvalue COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci LIKE ?) ORDER BY uid_lower ASC LIMIT 25 OFFSET 0’ with params [“%%”, “%%”, “%%”]: SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1253 COLLATION ‘utf8mb4_general_ci’ is not valid for CHARACTER SET ‘utf8’

working on it. In the meantime, it seems like running nc-init fixes it (you will lose everything though)

edit: fixed now