NC15 and Android App: Cannot Modify Files

Hi all!

I’m running a private Nextcloud instance and right now I’m trying to get it to work together with my Android devices. In particular, I’d like to modify files stored in my cloud, and somehow it just doesn’t work.

I’m running the following NC instance:

Nextcloud version: 15.0.0.10
Operating system and version: Debian 9 on a Xeon E3 1245 machine with 8 GiB memory
Apache or nginx version: 2.4.25-3+deb9u4
PHP version: 7.0.33-0+deb9u1

I use the Nextcloud app version 3.4.1 on the following Android devices:

• Motorola Moto G5 Plus, running stock Android 8.1.0 (OPSS28.85-13-3), and
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab S4, running Samsung’s latest software, based on Android Oreo (8.1).

I’m trying to accomplish the following task:
Suppose there is a bunch of PDF files in a folder of my cloud. I want to open a file with another app, modify its content, and save the file. However, once I close the file and reopen it again from the Nextcloud app, all my changes are lost. (In a perfect world, or when using Dropbox, the updated file would now be automatically synchronized back to the server.)
I would be perfectly happy to manually tap “synchronize”, but telling from the modification time stamp the file is not changed at all! In fact, these apps seem only to get some read-only copy of the file or so. I have tried all options for the storage path in the Nextcloud app, but none of them has enabled me to persistently change the file when opened from the Nextcloud app. The problem also occurs regardless of whether the file is marked as “available offline”, and on multiple devices (although both of them running Oreo).

Steps to replicate it:

1. open a folder with a PDF file in the Nextcloud app
  2. tap the PDF file
  3. when asked, open the file with the Adobe Acrobat app
  4. use the comment-feature and highlight some text
  5. tap a) the checkmark and b) the back arrow on the left top (leaving the Adobe Reader app)
  6. note the “document has been saved” insert at the bottom of the screen
  7. back in the Nextcloud app, open the PDF file again: the changes are lost!

I have successfully accomplished precisely the same task using the Dropbox app, so this is most likely not a limitation of my Android version or devices.

I am sorry to say, but I do not have much use for a read-only cloud storage solution. Is this really the intended behavior, or am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You and Best Regards,
Dominik