NC 18.0.4 Installation - "Unreportable" Error

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.2): 18.0.4
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Unknown ISP Distro running kernel 2.6.32-954.3.5.lve1.4.66.el6.x86_64
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): 2.4.43
PHP version (eg, 7.1): 7.2.30

The issue you are facing:
Attempting a clean installation of 18.0.4 to my hosting company. No shell access, so downloaded, SHA256sum-checked and exbanded tarball. Uploaded to hosting company using FileZilla in “Auto” mode.

First attempt the installation failed claiming that

"/{NextCloud root}/data/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure that it is readable and that “/{NextCloud root}/data is executable”.

Went digging and discovered that no “/data/” folder existed subordinate to NextCloud root…

Re-ran installation, but paused after ftp transfer and manually created the /data/ folder. Got a second error message concerning the “.htaccess” file…

Copied the “.htaccess” file from the NextCloud root in to /data and ran a third time. On this occasion I didn’t get a detailed error message on screen, but I did get a message in the browser explaining that an unrecoverable problem had occurred, but a second problem had been encountered while trying to report the first issue (i.e. no error code).

Interestingly, the installer script did create all the oc_ tables and structures in my database, as well as place numerous additional files in the /data/ folder.

This was an otherwise completely clean installation - database existed but was empty; the NC root folder was completely cleaned out before a fresh ftp transfer of a sha256sum-checked download was placed before execution.

Went back to the web server log, but this time there were no error messages at all.

Sorry that I can’t give more precise details of the failure, but happy to retrieve and share contents of files or logs based on any guidance received.

Thanks in advance for any support or assistance with this.

Should it be relevant… This was a clean installation in replacement of an earlier 17.0.0.9 installation that had run OK for the last few months. I tried (repeatedly) and failed to get that version to web upgrade to 18.0.4, so in the end admitted defeat and attempted a clean installation… I previously had more luck with 17.0.0.9…

Any/all guidance gratefully received.
Thank you in advance.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Yes

Steps to replicate it:

1. Attempt a clean installation

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

Not Applicable - site not yet running, so no log exists... 

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

PASTE HERE

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

PASTE HERE