NC 17, No browser notifications

Hello everyone!

I have recently installed a NC instance and so far everything is working, apart from some trouble with browser notifications (there are none in the android app either, but that’s not as relevant for me).

The problem: Regardless of the browser used I do not get a notification for new messages, mentions or calls (or anything at all, really). When I close the conversation and someone messages me I do get the dot on the little bell on the top right, informing me that there is a message waiting, but there are no requests for browser notifications. I have opened a demo server at try.nextcloud.com, and there my browsers all ask to show notifications and then do so when allowed. Manually allowing notifications for my NC site does not change anything.

The Notifications app is installed. There are no errors in the nextcloud.log or the web server log files. The developer console (browser) just shows some info concerning deprecated libraries, but no failed connections or CSP errors. Where else should I look?

Some system info:
NC Server
NC Version: 17.0.2
PHP: 7.3.11-1~deb10u1
nginx: 1.17.7-1~buster
DB: MariaDB 10.4.11+maria~buster

Gateway/Proxy
Proxy: HAProxy 1.8.23 (18-1.8.23)

Thanks for reading! Please let me know if you require more information.

Still nothing on this?!!

@nextcloud this is crazy. This issue goes back many months. How is there no notifications other than a red dot on the bell icon? This is like making a sports car without a steering wheel!

Anyone have a workaround?

1 Like

@crazycloud I think it does work for many people, as it does for me with the demo server. Using a reverse proxy in front of the installation increases complexity, and after reading some posts concerned with the notifications theme I am still uncertain what I really need for it to work. The notifications app? Most probably. A TURN server purely for notifications? I don’t think so, but I could be wrong.

I was just hoping someone could point me to where things might get stuck in my setup. Again, I’ll supply further info and configs if required.

I’m having the exact same issue. I did find this bug, which seems related and coming in the next release: https://github.com/nextcloud/notifications/pull/576