MySQL version "5.7.28-log" is used. Nextcloud 21 will no longer support this version and requires MySQL 8 or higher

Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.2): 20.0.5
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 20.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache
PHP version (eg, 7.1): 7.4

The issue you are facing:
How can I solve this:

• MySQL version “5.7.28-log” is used. Nextcloud 21 will no longer support this version and requires MySQL 8 or higher.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Cheers

• update mysql
  • switch to mariadb
  • use postgresql
  • don’t use nc 21
  • find the version check in the code and disable it

I am on a Dreamhost VPS. Shouldn’t the mysql be updated automatically? Also, I am using mariadb as far as I can tell.

I am not that familiar with fixing this so any help is so much appreciated. What can I check? Where can I check it?

I installed NextCloud via the web installer. Using it for the past 2+ years. All good. I keep it updated and fixed all issues form the admin overview, however this one is strange to me.

Cheers!

Useless answer.

It is a pity that the requirement of MySQL 8 is rather hidden in the announcement and changelog for NC21. Actually, it would be interesting to know WHY MySQL 5.7 is not supported any more, i.e. which backward-incompatible changes have been introduced with NC21.
I have seen that quite a few NC users run their cloud on Plesk-hosted platforms provided through hosting providers. Since Plesk has only announced to support MySQL8 very recently, it may take still many months (if at all without a hosting package change) until these clients will have access to MySQL8. As a consequence, they are forced to stick to NC20 until that day.

i also received this warning on some instances.

The funny thing: These instances running Nextcloud Version 21.0.1

i created a bugreport on gitHUB. May it bring out some more information.

Everything I see about plesk suggests that it supports mariadb, which is the “real” successor to mysql 5.x anyway (think of mysql 8 as oracle’s FORK of it – they stole the name by taking over Sun Microsystems, which held the name supposedly for safe keeping).