MySQL version "5.7.28-log" is used. Nextcloud 21 will no longer support this version and requires MySQL 8 or higher

Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.2): 20.0.5
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Ubuntu 20.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache
PHP version (eg, 7.1): 7.4

The issue you are facing:
How can I solve this:

• MySQL version “5.7.28-log” is used. Nextcloud 21 will no longer support this version and requires MySQL 8 or higher.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Cheers

• update mysql
  • switch to mariadb
  • use postgresql
  • don’t use nc 21
  • find the version check in the code and disable it

I am on a Dreamhost VPS. Shouldn’t the mysql be updated automatically? Also, I am using mariadb as far as I can tell.

I am not that familiar with fixing this so any help is so much appreciated. What can I check? Where can I check it?

I installed NextCloud via the web installer. Using it for the past 2+ years. All good. I keep it updated and fixed all issues form the admin overview, however this one is strange to me.

Cheers!

Useless answer.

1 Like

It is a pity that the requirement of MySQL 8 is rather hidden in the announcement and changelog for NC21. Actually, it would be interesting to know WHY MySQL 5.7 is not supported any more, i.e. which backward-incompatible changes have been introduced with NC21.
I have seen that quite a few NC users run their cloud on Plesk-hosted platforms provided through hosting providers. Since Plesk has only announced to support MySQL8 very recently, it may take still many months (if at all without a hosting package change) until these clients will have access to MySQL8. As a consequence, they are forced to stick to NC20 until that day.

1 Like

i also received this warning on some instances.

The funny thing: These instances running Nextcloud Version 21.0.1

i created a bugreport on gitHUB. May it bring out some more information.

Everything I see about plesk suggests that it supports mariadb, which is the “real” successor to mysql 5.x anyway (think of mysql 8 as oracle’s FORK of it – they stole the name by taking over Sun Microsystems, which held the name supposedly for safe keeping).

1 Like

I have the same error on dreamhost. Notably, the MySQL server version is 8. Maybe there is some issue with the database schema. Looking into this.

solved for the forum. Not in a good way, though. Pls refer to the github issue

These are different issues I think.

Dreamhost MySQL servers are largely all running version 8, so NC instances should be able to upgrade to version 21 of Nextcloud and work on their servers. It in fact DOES upgrade and work.

I think the original post’s issue is that NC on Dreamhost is incorrectly reporting that the MySQL version is “5.7.28-log”. This might be a bug unique to Dreamhost. Perhaps related to their slightly custom version of MySQL. I don’t know.

In terms of what workaround works on Dreamhost:
First, confirm your MySQL server is actually version 8. Then ignore the warning.

Still it would be good to pinpoint how this incorrect version number is being picked up by NC.

I’m sorry to heat this up again. I installed Nextcloud 22 using Docker a few days ago and I connected it to a central MySQL server, which is still MySQL 5.7.

So far my Nextcloud is running fine and i do not use the mail app. Is it safe to run my Nextcloud setup with MySQL 5.7 for now? I will update to MySQL 8, hopefully in Q1 2022.