My little wishlist

Hi

I’m a noob that’s trying to get better at using nextcloud, I have rely appreciated using this program, even thou I have had a few problems. There are a couple of things that stand out when using this platform that I hope get implemented.

Preview of videos, this is a standard for all other competitors. A small checkbox yes/no.

Option to scan for changes via the front end, how often, hourly, daily and so forth. Moving large amounts of data 100gb +++ and needing to ssh to the server for ĂĄ command can be inconvenient.

Scanning is something handled by occ and cron, so I would think your best bet is to mount local storage if you are moving large amounts of data in order to circumvent the need for scans altogether. This will mean no activity app support, but I doubt you’ll care if you are moving such large files.

You could also combine locally mounted storage with your third party tool of choice, such as ftp or syncthing. These will all simplify and speed up the process of moving big data sets to particular locations. Hope these ideas help as they’ve worked fine for me.

1 Like

Oh yes. That would be great.
There is an issue: https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/13552

1 Like

Thank you for the input. I do know of cronjobs and using occ to scan for changes. My grievance is that I am the only one in the house can update this easily. My significant other has nooo interest in learning this. While a button in the settings gui that runs scan all, happy boo. :wink:

Yes. But there is a different betweeen web-php and cli-php.

2 Likes

Add 'filesystem_check_changes' => 1, to your config file to reload on the fly. The only caveat is that it won’t work on groupfolders. You’ll need a cron or inotify for that.

1 Like

You could hard mount file system locations to skip the check altogether. I only do this when I know the directory is for massive files sent using some other tool only I need to mess with. This is how I send large files to my instance if using the regular sync doesn’t make sense.

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/latest/admin_manual/configuration_files/external_storage/local.html

1 Like

Interesting, I will give this a try.

Thank you all for your time and input. I see there are more then few ways to skin this metaphorical cat :grin: