multiple working on excel file with nextcloud application

Can we enable the excel file to be opened in read only mode by another person when one person opens it while working multiple times on an excel file while using the Nextcloud windows app, as in the normal windows sharing feature.

I haven’t found a solution for this situation, has anyone found a solution for this, or will nextcloud update about it.

thanks…

I don’t really understand the question. Can you clarify?

@KarlF12 multiple working on excel file with nextcloud application.

There is an excel file in the folder, how can I make it open as read-only in the second person who opens it when another person opens it.

but I want to be able to do it via nextcloud windows app using microsoft office.

@KarlF12 It’s interesting that this issue has been mentioned many times in the forum but no solution has been offered;

As a user, I fully support this request and would be most interested in finding a solution that allows users to make changes simultaneously, or at least a popup notification that alerts user2 that user1 is already using the file.
Kind regards,

It has been said to use only online tools, but the question here is how it will be when using the microsoft office option over the windows app, a notification etc. should be made here.

This is because there is no solution that does exactly what you want, in combination with the desktop client. There is the app File Locking, but it has its pitfalls: (major) issues / bugs in Temporary Files Lock app · Issue #27 · nextcloud/files_lock · GitHub And there is Transactional File Locking, which only prevents simultaneous saving: Transactional file locking — Nextcloud latest Administration Manual latest documentation

Here in the forums we cannot offer you solutions that Nextcloud itself doesn’t offer. If an app or the Nextcloud server itself does not behave as you would like, whether because of a bug or because the feature, as in this case, simply does not exist, you can of course discuss this here and we can take note of it or maybe offer workarounds. But if you want the developers to take note of it, it would be better to open a feature request / bug report on GitHub, or comment on / up-vote existing issues.

1 Like

Multiple solutions that do this are readily available, namely Collabora and ONLYOFFICE. But you will have to train your users not to open shared files individually on their computers. There’s no getting around that because Microsoft Office doesn’t support collaborative editing.

It actually does, at least if you are using One Drive or Sharepoint as a backend. But I don’t know if it is possible to integrate this feature with 3rd party backends like Nextcloud, and how easy it would be to implement, if it were possible.

It’s only if you use the web version, just like with Collabora vs. LibreOffice. The standalone desktop MS Office doesn’t have such a feature as far as I’m aware.

They have… Document collaboration and co-authoring - Microsoft Support

When the excel file is shared in the independent microsoft office in the windows folder, when a person opens the microsoft excel file, it gives the second person access as read only, there should be such a setting in the nextcloud app. As a result, there is a lot of difference between microsoft office and nextcloud office in terms of usage.

[image]

I never said Real Time Collaboration in Microsoft Office will work with files stored in local folders or in combination with Nextcloud. I said it will work when you are using SharePoint or OneDrive as a storage backend. I also said that I don’t know whether a similar integration with Nextcloud would be possible.

@bb77 It happens when excel file is used in windows sharing. but the problem here is access to all platforms. I know one drive, but the situation here is that we don’t pay a fee for the software every month, so we try free software like nextcloud anyway.

I know, and I already answerd that in my first reply to you: multiple working on excel file with nextcloud application - #5 by bb77

We, the users of this forum, can’t offer you solutions that don’t exist and we can’t develop them for you. See if there is already a feature request on GitHub. If there is one, comment or up-vote it, if there is none, open one.