Multiple version upgrades not supported - running 15.0.5.3 Does that mean I need to upgrade to 16, then 17, etc?

Currently running 15.0.5.3, or at least that’s what my config.php says I’m running. I can’t access the web interface due to some http2 errors so I thought I’d upgrade before spending time debugging the problem (it’s been around for months, but my phone works with nextcloud and the desktop client works so it wasn’t a high priority to fix).

I’m in the middle of an upgrade right now, I’ve run:

sudo unzip nextcloud-20.0.0.zip -d /var/www
sudo -u www-data php occ maintenance:mode --on
sudo -u www-data php occ db:add-missing-columns
sudo -u www-data php occ db:add-missing-indices

And of course it fails on:

sudo -u www-data php ./occ upgrade

Since I’ve already messed up by missing something in the documentation, do I need to download version 16, upgrade there, then go 16->17, 17->18, 18->19 and then finally 19->20?

exactly this, i’m afraid.
forum and manual would have told you that of you only would have searched for it.

It’s not something you would think to search for. I haven’t encountered this issue with software before. Oh well… between the massive upgrade, fixing the failed upgrade and then fixing the http2 error I’m not sure if I’ll continue using Nextcloud.

the pros and cons of open source: you need to do everything yourself, usually.

well that would be OK for me. I really can’t help here.

Maybe some different path would be setting up an instance completely new… and getting your files over to there… and as for the users and sharings, etc. try importing your old db to the new one… but as i’m no pro in databases… this could fail majorly. maybe the forum would know more here as well.

suggestion: try to do the upgrades in time, next time. and try to stay at least on the latest supported version (right now it’s nc 17)

1 Like

I usually do, but through the web interface.

I have nothing against the software, it’s great - I just don’t have the time to debug it right now. (nor energy)