Multiple instances,what is possible

Hi

I need to serve 2 customers with a nextcloud solution and I tend to put this on a dedicated rootserver in 2 instances. Now I read about ā€œmulti tenantā€ but I do not see how to make a clear destinction between 2 customers and there users on one instance.

Is there something that I oversee or is it not there?

I mean a solution with customer 1 / database 1 - customer 2 / database 2 running on 1 instance.

Regards,
Jan

3 Likes

You need different directories or subdomains for two instances so that their DocumentRoot is different. Each of the instance need its own database of course.
If you need better separation, you could run nginx+fastcgi and run php under different user names that there is no way that they interfer with each other. Or you go even further and put them in different containers or virtual machines.

Thanks,

I already run several owncloud/nextcloud instances this way. They do not interfere with eachother.

I was just curious about the ā€œmulti tenantā€ because I run another Webapp where I can define different companies and each becomes its own database using the same software.
When Nextcloud runs as I use it now that is OK because it is a great software.

Regards,
Jan

Multi-tenant is a pretty epic idea though. One install to manage, one to update, one to administerā€¦

One install to rule them all!

5 Likes

oC/NC doesnā€™t support multi tenancy. Had a chat with devs on #nextcloud-dev and there is an environment variable to the config file that we could set to be able to use same code base and differentiate the config (DB etc) and data/.
Ref https://github.com/nextcloud/server/pull/660
Could be worth testing out. Donā€™t have time these days for such testing, otherwise on my todo list.

2 Likes

Thanks,

I will stick to separate intances with their own root-directory and own database.
it is no problem, I have been running several installs and it is very stable.

Regards,
Jan

1 Like

Own seems to support this approach, using different data-directory for each host. But donā€™t know how they do it differently.

Another vote for multiple root directories. I created a second alongside my main one a few weeks ago and itā€™s working well.

It looks possible to share the code directory, but Iā€™m happier having two separate installations which can be upgraded or patched independently. Of course if you ended up with ten or twenty then it might become a problem.

1 Like

I really like this idea and wonder if this is what is done in the ā€˜enterpriseā€™ version? Is there any other updated information people have on this?

Hi,
Possible to get a simple ā€œhow-toā€ on multiple instances? Iā€™m a little bit confused on the way to achieve this.

Thanks a lot

I am also looking for some multi tenancy solution, to avoid needing to update them one by one.

Are there not complications with APCu/redis cache clashes with multiple instances?

There is no support for that in Nextcloud for now. But we are providing free update of any amounts of instances if you are hosting on cloudamo.com.

Love it! This would make life easierā€¦