Multiple dirs disappeared without a trace

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 18.0.2): 20.0.0
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Fedora 30
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): nginx 1.18
PHP version (eg, 7.1): 7.3.18

The issue you are facing:

I discovered today that at least two full directories are completely missing from nextcloud.
I think this happened while upgrading from NC 19 to NC 20 at Oct. 12., but I am not 100% sure.

There are no trace of them anywhere, and logs do not give any clue as to what happened.

The two paths I have found so far was shared between multiple users on the installation, and both paths started with th word “Felles”, and contained about 50 000 files.
When issuing a mysql-command:

> select from_unixtime(timestamp), user, subject, file from oc_activity where file like "%Felles%" order by timestamp desc limit 10;

I can see that some files inside the directories were moved around at 2020-10-11, but nothing has touched the dirs after that.
If I go into $nextcloud/data, and do a
find . | grep Felles I can find a few entries in some of the “files_versions” subdirectories, but nothing more. Both the directories are completely missing.

Selecting from oc_filecache gives me zero (other than the few “files_versions”-files:

> select * from oc_filecache where path like "%Felles%" and path not like "%files_versions/%";
Empty set (1.223 sec)

I can see my own user having had the share mounted:

> select * from oc_mounts where mount_point like "%Felles%";
+-------+------------+---------+---------+----------------------------+----------+
| id    | storage_id | root_id | user_id | mount_point                | mount_id |
+-------+------------+---------+---------+----------------------------+----------+
| 53373 |          2 |  409163 | olen    | /olen/files/Felles bilder/ |     NULL |
1 row in set (0.002 sec)

But not the other users.

I can find some very old entries in oc_properties:

select count(*) from oc_properties where propertypath like "%Felles%";
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|       60 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.016 sec)

But these are references to files that were deleted more than two years ago.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Unknown

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

The log was completely empty.

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

I have searched the nginx-logs for entries containing "Felles". but can't find any for as far back as the logs last.

The files are also gone from all the clients, but I can’t find anything in the activity history or in the sqlite-db files about them being removed.

I am now very relieved!

Turned out it was the Groupfolder app that had been disabled with the upgrade to NC 20.

Enabled it again, and everything is back. NOW, I can sleep again…

1 Like