Move many files from local storage to external storage (S3 like)

Support intro

Nextcloud version: 19.0.10
Operating system and version: 18.04.2 LTS
Nginx version : 1.18.0
PHP version: 7.2

Hi,

I’d like to move several GB of folders and files from local storage to an external storage (S3 compatible). Nextcloud web UI doesn’t allow me to move/paste data in the destination folder.
I haven’t found any command line allowing to do it either.
My last resort seem to down everything and upload it back in the appropriate destination folder.
Any better idea?

Thanks

If you’re able to mount your storage on the console, what should be possible based on the following article, you can use any linux base tool to copy/move files:

1 Like

mount both nextcloud folder as webdav shares. and move the files between this two mountpoints. could take a while. but the access to your local files won’t go through the internet.

or use rclone.org to copy your files from /<nextcloud-data-dir/user/files/some-folder to the webdav share of your nextcloud external s3 bucket.

1 Like

Thanks for your proposal! I decided to not go this route as it would require file rescan from Nextcloud afterward.

Thanks for your answer!
Mounting my Nextcloud file root folder as a davfs mointpoint feels the best option to me as no rescan is required. It is sure slow however !