Migrating from Ubuntu 16.04 w/Apache2, PHP7.0, MariaDB to newest T&M Hansson Nextcloud VM

Support intro

Hi to you all :slight_smile: I have a Nextcloud VM that was set up originally on Ubuntu 16 with a T&M Hansson script early in 2016, upgrading it almost problem free all the way to 15.0.0.
The biggest problem with my perfectly functioning VM is that PHP7.0 is EOL and i need to upgrade it. So I was thinking instead of upgrading only PHP, the best course of action would be upgrading the entire VM to Ubuntu 18.04, migrate MariaDB to PostgreSQL https://www.techandme.se/we-migrated-to-postgresql/, run a backup and restore everything to an entirely new Ubuntu 18.04 VM built from the latest script Nextcloud VM – T&M Hansson IT AB with all the new tech they have put into it.

Has anyone done this before me and perhaps know of some common pitfalls I would be very grateful if anyone would share their experience! :wink:

Nextcloud version : 15.0
Operating system and version : Ubuntu 16.04
Apache or nginx version : Apache 2.4.18
PHP version : 7.0.33
MariaDB : 10.0.36

For me , the best way to do it is:

• Build your new hardware base
  • Install from scratch every pieces of sowtware and conf until you have a working NC
  • Rebuild users bases through an DB export/rebuilt
  • Migrate data with occ
  • Test

You will be safer

1 Like

@stratege1401 Yes, correct.

Basically:

1. Create a new Ubuntu 18.04 VM
  2. Run the install script from Github Nextcloud VM repo
  3. Export data and DB from old VM
  4. Import data and DB to new VM.

It shouldn’t be necessary to do any further changes as long as everything else is default. If you made your on modifications, then you’d need to add them to the new VM as well.

just something bother me, why a VM ???

As always, building a server need to stay SIMPLE.

Adding the complexity of a VM witch can encounter his own bugs add complexity …

VM are evil when debug is needed. Are you gonna be 100% sure it is not the VM crashing on you ??

correct. we have 2019. one is using container these days. or kubernetes. or cloud server.

when did you had to debug such a problem to last time?

the advantages of virtualization outweigh any complexity you may see.

well, i dont remember the exact numbering but it was like 6 month ago with Debian release 9 stable and virtualbox.

I kepted on having a fresh test netsintall with only the basics tools and openssl intalled crashing with a kernel panic…until i understood it was not the server image i was creating, but the virtualbox software having a bug, who was fixed liked two or three weeks later !

So, i am sorry, but as i have client paying on an hourly basis, having to sort out the virtualbox bug for free is surely not an advantage for me.

When you have a virtual server running in a virtual box running inside a windows i now call it a stupid complex freak show … to avoid at all cost, and having a test bench who cost like 500 eur is a no show for me.

FYI:
if windows used as an host for virtual box, the tracking numbering for bugs is up to 18233 tickets !
if linux is an guest for virtual box, the numbering is up to 18231 !
The source of course is : https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Bugtracker

And by the way, when using a VM, your facing two ways bugs, Host OS and Guest OS…

See my point !

couldnt pass on that one !!! PHP zend_mm_heap corrupted / Segmentation fault errors Is itt a real bug, or a VM bugs ?? See my point again

Hi y’all…
New VM is up and running. I got great help from Hansson IT (paid support) to convert from mysql to postgresql and moving db and data. Well worth the cost!

It was quite the process. Converting the 1,5 GB database took about 18 hours.
Moving the data was done with rsync. The biggest problem was actually pgsql import and authentication, but when that was sorted, all our clients connected like nothing have happened :+1:

stratege1401, if I wasn’t running a VM with the advantages of checkpoints/snapshots, this process would surely have been a true nightmare. Sorry to hear you have had bad experiences with Virtualbox. But keep in mind that virtualbox is not a professional nor a production ready solution. Though for testing purposes, or simple client virtualization, vbox would suffice. Here at our shop, we run all our servers as VM’s on Enterprise ready virtualization (Hyper-V 2016 w/replication to a second host) on real server hardware (HP Proliant DL380 G9). Doesn’t really compare to virtualbox now does it? :wink:

2 Likes

Pretty much sums up what we did, except for converting the db from mysql to postgresql.

the fight is unfair, i got a water pistol and you took an horwlizter 105 !!!

But, if your running a pro server, i still dont get the VM.

Anyway, this is your choice. If it fit you well, dont bother …

If you dont mind telling me how much for how long they charged you … to compare with the french matket ( even in PM )

1 Like

Nextcloud VM (https://github.com/nextcloud/vm) with Ubuntu 16.04 been running stable af since April 2016. The only reason we’re moving is because of PHP 7.0 is end-of-life as per Januar 2019.

The job ran us 420 euros, 7 hours

1 Like

Well, that’s the whole idea behind the Nextcloud VM, keeping it simple. :wink:

I currently host 36 VMs on my VMware host. No issues at all that was VM releated for the past 5 years. Running VMs makes it easy to:

• Migrate
  • Move
  • Backup
  • Snapshot
  • Etc…

Each separate VM runs as a bare-bone server would do and I don’t notice any performance decrease at all, actually the opposite as you can over provision RAM, DISK, CPU and yeah just about anything.

I understand your position if you are running VIrtualBox, I didn’t have any great experience with that either, but hey - VMware is free (Player). Try it out. :slight_smile:

Thx. This is actually worth it, as i charge my customer on a 65 Eur/H basis for the vip support.

Bye