Migrating from ownCloud to Nextcloud

Just my 2 cents. At least for me the absence of supported Ubuntu/Debian packages means that Nextcloud is not a drop-in replacement for the other one. Integrating yet another new mechanism in my server admin processes is time-prohibiting for the time being.

3 Likes

FYI, nextcloud is now in the official Gentoo repository: nextcloud :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Have you checked under “Apps” that it isn’t just disbled? If it is, just click the “Enable” button next to Gallery in the apps section.

I search in mijn app list and i can’t found app Gallery. Not in installed, enabled and rest of other tabs.

What about in “Not enabled”?

As noted at Test our new work-in-progress upgrader script we do also now have a new work-in-progress upgrader that also could be used for the purpose of migrating to Nextcloud.

Testing very much welcome. :rocket:

Thant won’t be of much use I fear. If Debian packages nextcloud we’ll have packages which are years out of date in the stable distribution (probably with security patches). I guess this is fine for some use cases, but absolutely no replacement for the up-to-date packages provided by owncloud.

Can you elaborate what the problem is with the current packaging method used by owncloud?

Aside from it being the full-time job of one person and breaking things for users about every release, it results in being yelled at by distribution people who don’t like that the packages do not follow all the various and conflicting policies for each distribution, which results in them claiming the packages are low quality. Which might or might not be true depending on your pov but in any case it isn’t work which results in many grateful emails about how nice it is that there are packages.

Now customers might need packages for RHEL or something and we will have to provide those but on the community side I and the others strongly prefer to rely on volunteers. This isn’t company policy or anything, note, it is just how most of the employees think about it and as we’re a company that works bottom up rather than having management meetings, this is pretty much the current state of affairs :wink:

If you or others have a good reason to not hire somebody for coding or sales but, instead, for packaging - I’m all ears and I am sure so are the others. But it will have to be somebody with a very thick skin, willingness to package for a wide variety of distributions AND be darn good at it so it doesn’t break or change every 2nd release.

[quote=“jospoortvliet, post:49, topic:551, full:true”]
Aside from it being the full-time job of one person and breaking things for users about every release[/quote]
C’mon, things broke for users about every release for a wild variety of reasons. Upgrading owncloud has been a rough experience at the best of days. Just to give one example: remember someone changing the URL pattern for caldav/carddav between two versions of OC? It broke functionality for clients using the legacy pattern. And that’s just one example. No need to single out the Debian packages here. I can’t remember a single issue caused by the packages, but that’s not to say they weren’t there.

I didn’t mean to single those out, and it wasn’t the Debian packages but all of them. And with ‘breakage’ I mean that in every other release I heard the days before or (more often) after the release I had to inform people our packages had moved to a new repo, had been renamed, dropped support for one or another platform and so on and on. There’s plenty more broken, for sure, but packages didn’t work well. I’d rather follow the example of Wordpress and provide a great built in updater. See also [wp-hackers] Long term suckage

[quote=“jospoortvliet, post:51, topic:551, full:true”]I didn’t mean to single those out, and it wasn’t the Debian packages but all of them.[/quote]We could well stop developing new features if the risk of breaking something is unacceptable. But I never heard that argument before.[quote=“jospoortvliet, post:51, topic:551, full:true”]And with ‘breakage’ I mean that in every other release I heard the days before or (more often) after the release I had to inform people our packages had moved to a new repo, had been renamed, dropped support for one or another platform and so on and on.[/quote]The decision to play around with the repos was misinformed in my opinion. Sure does it make upgrading more difficult. You can’t blame the repo-mechanism for that; it was an entirely arbitrary decision. Not different from changing the URL patterns I made reference to.[quote=“jospoortvliet, post:51, topic:551, full:true”]There’s plenty more broken, for sure, but packages didn’t work well.[/quote]For me it did work insofar nothing else kept owncloud from upgrading.[quote=“jospoortvliet, post:51, topic:551, full:true”]I’d rather follow the example of Wordpress and provide a great built in updater.[/quote]The packages at the repo did more than just update owncloud. The whole dependency tree was managed by it.

2 Likes

I know. I used them, too… I’m not against packages. I’m against having us provide them, unilaterally, rather than the distributions.

What about the packages owncloud-deps-php5 owncloud-files, can they be removed as well?

owncloud-deps-php5 is nothing more than a meta package for PHP5 dependencies. It doesn’t install any file, but will “catch” all required PHP5 dependencies required by owncloud (and nextcloud).

So, when you remove it, apt will say : [quote=“coolnodje, post:11, topic:551”]
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
[/quote] [quote=“coolnodje, post:11, topic:551”]
Use ‘apt-get autoremove’ to remove them
[/quote]

Don’t use autoremove (see my previous post #12) and read #16 for how to mark these PHP5 dependencies as “manual”.

Right, I am not trying to remove then, and started to mark needed package with apt-mark manual.
But at this stage, when you moved from packaged Owncloud to manually installed Nextcloud there’s a new issue:
when you apt update && apt upgrade your system, Owncloud is providing a 9.0.3 version and this is a mess, even if you’ve uninstalled owncloud

So from your answer I gather I can safely apt remove owncloud-deps-php5 owncloud-files as long as I don’t run an autoremove for the time being, is that right?

Yes, if you have previously marked needed packages as “manual” with apt-mark, you can safely remove owncloud-deps-php5 and owncloud-files.
You can also delete your (old) owncloud repos in your sources of packages.

Upgrade worked great from owncloud 9.0.2 to nextcloud 9.0.50 on Ubuntu 14.04.
@LukasReschke do we want to make a note about preserving themes/ directory if modified?

I’m also waiting for Ubuntu packages, or a really good updater that takes care of >everything< for me. Preferably via CLI.

Btw, what happens to the Database tables, they are all in ownCloud format. It doesn’t feel safe to upgrade just yet. Clean install sure, but I had my ownCloud for 4 years now.

Not to talk about all the guidance for users that have to download new clients and reconfigure stuff to get pure Nextcloud. Naah, not yet.

Just sayin :slight_smile:

1 Like

What do you mean with “owncloud”-format? That database design hasn’t changed so much (yet).

That’s a good question. Would be great to have at least a client-installer that uninstalls owncloud and takes over the settings (perhaps allows url-update because many used example.org/owncloud).

Exactly, not yet But when it changes, what happens to all the old tables. For me to be convinced the database must also migrate to new tables (or at least tablenames).