Migrating from ownCloud to Nextcloud without lose data

Hi,
please help… I installed ownCloud several days ago and uploaded on my server (via web www.) 100gb of data.

Now, i have problems with ownCloud and searching internet I found Nextcloud. I would to install on my web server and migrate all my data in this platform.

There a way to make this without upload data again?

Thank you!!

Yes it is possible for the data but not (really) for your username, shares, …
With Owncloud and Nextcloud you have got a data dir. See config/config.php
'datadirectory' => '/var/www/html/nextcloud/data',

E.g. you have installed Owncloud to /var/www/html/owncloud and data dir to /var/www/html/owncloud/data and a user “username” with files to /var/www/html/owncloud/data/username/files

Now you can:

a.) Install Nextcloud to /var/www/html/nextcloud (perhaps you must delete MariaDB from Owncloud first)
b.) add the user “username” while installation or afterwards in Nextcloud
c.) move (or copy only first) all files from /var/www/html/owncloud/data/username/files to /var/www/html/nextcloud/data/username/files (use correct user and group, e.g. www-data:www-data, please only files in this subfolder username/files and not the full structure)
d.) re-scan files for Nextcloud

sudo -u www-data php occ files:scan --all
(use webserver user, occ in path of /var/www/html/nextcloud)

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/20/admin_manual/configuration_server/occ_command.html

1 Like

I’ve not readed the guide yet, but with this solution, i can load files simply rescanning the user folder… And it’s fantastic, because i may upload files directly via FTP and find in the user via Nextcloud. It’s correct? How i can rescan user’s folders?

Another question, Nextcloud is compatible with Multcloud? I use this service to move datas from Mega to ownCloud, but now ownCloud is broken and i don’t know why…

1 Like

You can use also the user-option. Sorry not tested.
sudo -u www-data php occ files:scan username

Sorry i do not know the service. But Nextcloud uses WebDAV and Multicloud uses WebDAV, too. Nextcloud and WebDAV

Please post your configuration in Multicloud for your Owncload. You can anonymize server, user and password. I think you can use the same values because of using WebDAV.

Do you really need Mulitcloud? Nextcloud has got a lot of cloud connectors.